Cover Of Martha Stewart Weddings - How Do I???

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm by girltrapped

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #1 of 18

I have the Fall 2007 issue of Matha Stewart Weddings magazine. On the cover there's a gorgeous cake!! It's covered in fondant with royal icing accents. They tell you how to make the royal icing accents...but don't tell you how to apply them to the cake icon_confused.gif

So, if you make some royal icing swirlies....and let them dry...and then picked them up to place on a fondant-covered cake...how would you get them to "stick" to the cake?

I'll see if I can find a picture of it online...

Thanks...

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #2 of 18

royal icing can also be used as the 'glue'

mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:14am
post #3 of 18

Thanks...I was thinking that too...but these scrolls are soooo thin & delicate looking...would just a tiny tiny bit in a few different spots hold it up, you think?

Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:07am
post #4 of 18

I don't know what the picture of the cake looks like, but you apply dried royal icing with fresh royal. Use it like glue. If they are a little heavy ,use thin wire or toothpicks within areas where there is space and won't show too much to hold in place til dry.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

I think i would use really small pins to hold it in place until it dries. Put the wet royal on the back of the design in a few spots, then stick to cake. Tehn i would stick 2 pins in the upper edge somewhere it would not be noticed and leave until dry.

I wonder would you want to apply these thigns at the venue or in the shop?

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:54am
post #6 of 18

It does say, towards the back. They even have a tutorial of sorts to show you the technique, and a few others. The items are piped on a flat surface, and when dry, are 'glued' on to the cake with royal icing.

I bought the magazine while traveling this past weekend. It has some other beautiful cakes as well.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #7 of 18

I would use fondant glue. take a small marble sized piece of fondant and mix in 1/2 teaspoon of water until you achieve the consistency of snot, Use a small brush to apply to the back of the design. I would not apply until it is delivered and set up.

Jibbies

mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #8 of 18

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Arosstx - it does not say. It says it gives you a "how to" on page 312 (I have the magazine). It ends by saying how to remove the piped decoration off of the waxed paper. It doesn't say anything about applying it to the cake. If it does somewhere else, please let me know.

Anyway, I will practice & try these different ways to see what works best!

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:31am
post #10 of 18

jwong: thank you, but again, it does not tell you how to apply the decoration to the cake

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #11 of 18

how about a dab of water from a small paintbrush?

shelie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelie Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #12 of 18

I just clicked on the link to show the templates...and right in the description it says they are royal icing that has dried and it is attached with more icing. So they are using royal icing to attach them.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #13 of 18

Ok! I just went back and read it for the millionth time! LOL! I see it now! I was just looking in the steps...not paying much attention to what they were saying before they listed the steps duh

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:37am
post #14 of 18

Wow! That's soo pretty but I bet it's a pain in the a** to get it on the cake in one piece.

Chrisy

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #15 of 18

Mom2spunkynbug.. in the magazine it say, how to attach... It says attach with more icing... hope this helps...the link that jwong posted has it on that page in the paragraph next to the picture of the cake....

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:48am
post #16 of 18

mom2spunkynbug i hit the submit button before i seen that you had reread it and found it ... I know i can look at a page and not see the answer but my dh will come along and say" it's right in front of you.". i just want to slap him when he does that...good luck on the cake..

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #17 of 18

You can use "edible glue " which dries clear & you'll only need a tiny bit for the scrolls - I think it's 1 part cmc / gum trag to 3 parts warm water ; mix together & let it sit for at least 24 hrs ( it does thicken )

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

until you achieve the consistency of snot
Jibbies

icon_eek.gif Not....feeling.... icon_surprised.gif so...well..... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%