Bridezilla?! Check Out This Story...

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm by snowqueen93

mom2spunkynbug Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 16

NEW YORK - The wedding was lovely, except for the flowers: They were the wrong color.

So says the bride, Elana Glatt, who was so upset that she sued the florist and alleged breach of contract.

She says Posy Floral Design in Manhattan substituted pastel pink and green hydrangeas for the dark rust and green ones she had specified for 22 centerpieces.

Not only that, she alleges that the hydrangeas were wilted and brown, and arranged in dusty vases without enough water.

âThe use of predominantly pastel centerpieces had a significant impact on the look of the room and was entirely inconsistent with the vision the plaintiffs had bargained for,â Glatt, a lawyer, said in the lawsuit, filed on behalf of herself, her husband, David, and her mother-in-law, Tobi Glatt, who paid for the flowers.

The flowers cost $27,435.14. The lawsuit asks for more than $400,000 in restitution and damages.

Stamos Arakas, the florist, said that he and his wife, Paula, tried to match the color of the hydrangeas with a picture Glatt had given them, but explained to her that the colors might not look the same.

âMy father used to tell me, âDonât deal with the lawyers,â Arakas said. âMaybe he was right, God bless his soul.â

I got this from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12784368/?GT1=10450

This makes me very scared of dealing with brides!!! icon_surprised.gif

15 replies
fmcmulle Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 16

You can usually spot bridezilla's from the get go. I make it known in the very beginning I don't tolerate this behavior. So far I have been very lucky and not encountered any.
I feel so bad for the florist. Hopefully it will come out in their favor.

JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:07am
post #3 of 16

Direct cut and paste may be a copyright problem, but the link is ok.

However, there is already a long thread on this same story.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 16

Well I had no idea that this topic was already going on...

Would you care to provide a link since you've seen it?

elizw Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 16

i have been very lucky...no bridezillas. my brides and their mothers have been nice and grateful...so far!

cwcopeland Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 16

If Bridezilla had to go in front of Judge Judy, she'd say, "ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR HUSBAND!!!!????? DID THEY FLOWERS RUIN YOUR MARRIAGE!!!!????" Then if Bridezilla said no, she was happy with her husband, then Judge Judy would say, "THEN GET OVER IT!!!! YOUR WEDDING WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! WHO CARES IF THE FLOWERS WERE THE WRONG COLOR!!!"

I just love her.........

ceshell Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 16

Well I was curious about the other thread so I finally tracked it down http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561315-400.html+000

in case you're interested (it was in the General forum. I hadn't seen the thread before you posted this one - I just went to look for it...my cat is on my lap and I can't get up from my computer so have time to kill LOL!)

loriana Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

If Bridezilla had to go in front of Judge Judy, she'd say, "ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR HUSBAND!!!!????? DID THEY FLOWERS RUIN YOUR MARRIAGE!!!!????" Then if Bridezilla said no, she was happy with her husband, then Judge Judy would say, "THEN GET OVER IT!!!! YOUR WEDDING WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! WHO CARES IF THE FLOWERS WERE THE WRONG COLOR!!!"

I just love her.........

I do too!! She SOO needs a dose of Judge Judy.... the best thing I head her ever say was, "let's hurry this stupidity up. I have plenty of other fish to fry today." I also like when she says "on my dumb days I am still 10 times smarter than you on your best day."

I wonder if she has a superiority complex in real life. Somehow I don't think she does, she just uses intimidation tactics to get to the "thick" of people. She sort of digs down beneath the surface of what these people's stories they dream up are and get to the crux of the matter. Anyway, yeah.

She would totally eat this bridezilla alive. I think Jen ought to apply and take this bridezilla to her show. Go girl! thumbs_up.gif

RobzC8kz Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 16

You know...I was going to side with the florist at first, but this is truely his mistake. He shouldn't have taken the order unless he knew for sure he could deliver what the bride wanted. I realize he told her he'd find flowers that are as close as possible to the ones she wanted, but once he did find the flowers and realized that they were significantly different from the picture, he should have called the bride, had her come in and look at what he found, get her expressed written approval of the change, then moved on.

If he couldn't find the exact flower due to season, region, etc. he should've called her in, explained that they were out of season or could only be found in South Africa or whatever, then either cancelled the order, or found a suitable replacement for the flowers the bride wanted. Being a lawyer, I'm sure the bride has a relatively high education, I'm sure if the Florist had sat her down and explained that the exact flower she wanted was not available she would have probably allowed him to use a suitable replacement.

As a cake decorator, if a client wants something on their cake that I cannot provide, I'll be right up front and honest with them. I'll either find a way to make it work, or offer up suggestions to achieve the desired look by using alternative methods or materials. If it comes down to it, I'll politely decline the order. My worst nightmare is to deliver a cake and have the client flip out because it wasn't what they wanted.

Sadly, it looks like this florist is going to be financing this bride's entire wedding to the tune of $400,000. Regardless of whether or not the wrong flowers "ruined" her entire wedding, the florist was still liable for not getting that bride to approve the changes, in writing, before delivery. Had he done that....she'd not have a leg to stand on.

He was probably afraid of her cancelling the order and him losing $27k which is why he didn't tell her that the rust colored hydrangeas were pastel pink instead. Now he's going to lose $370,000 of his own money. I'd rather not get paid the money that wasn't mine to begin with then to have to shell out my own cash to make up for a mistake I made.

Maybe not so "frivolous" as I originally thought....

imanah Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #10 of 16

I agree with Robz. I simply think that if someone is going to spend over 27k JUST ON FLOWERS (Which I could not even try to relate too) then they should get absolutley what they wanted, expected, and paid for!

Unfortunatly the shop owner probably was in awe of how much he could make on one order and did not really think things through. Maybe he has ha unsatisified clients in the past but it never amounted to a lawsuit.

I'm sure the flowers were probably nice looking (Considering my personal wedding budget was VERY low). But when a person shells out that kind of money for a product....then they have a diferent prespective & rightly so.

ge978 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:50am
post #11 of 16

Here's the thing though....maybe she's entitled to some of her 27K back, but $400,000????

Lets say you made a mistake on a wedding cake...maybe the wrong color or style...do you think its right to get sued for the whole cost of the reception?? Seriously, i understand people want certain things and have contracts but this lawsuit is ridiculous.

It sets a precedent showing brides that they can sue for the cost of their wedding if one thing goes wrong. I think the whole lawsuit is tacky!

loriana Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

Here's the thing though....maybe she's entitled to some of her 27K back, but $400,000????

Lets say you made a mistake on a wedding cake...maybe the wrong color or style...do you think its right to get sued for the whole cost of the reception?? Seriously, i understand people want certain things and have contracts but this lawsuit is ridiculous.

It sets a precedent showing brides that they can sue for the cost of their wedding if one thing goes wrong. I think the whole lawsuit is tacky!

Yes, I agree. I think the fair thing would be to refund the 27K only. A really fair judge would see that they still got some use for what was delivered and they would mitigate the damages and refund 75% or what have you.

People's court had an episode just yesterday like this. The caterers were supposed to deliver the food for this wedding and switched with another event. Judge Milian decided that they still ate and enjoyed the wrong food so she awarded a 75% refund to the bride.

RobzC8kz Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 16

Oh yeah...forgot to say something to that effect. Yes...the bride in entitled to a refund of most or all of the cost of the flowers (depending on whether or not that budget was JUST for centerpieces or not...if there were other flowers that she was happy with...then subtract the happy amount from the mad amount and call it day), but in no way, shape, or form would I agree that she's entitled to the $400k she's asking for.

She being a lawyer, I'm sure she's asking for the world in the hopes of getting a city. I don't think there's a judge in the world that would give her $400k for $30k worth of messed up flowers.

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 16

Holy......crap.........am I the only one still reeling at the thought of paying $27,000 for FLOWERS? icon_eek.gif

That's a car, for God's sake......a nice one. icon_razz.gif

loriana Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Holy......crap.........am I the only one still reeling at the thought of paying $27,000 for FLOWERS? icon_eek.gif

That's a car, for God's sake......a nice one. icon_razz.gif

It depends on the kind of wedding it was. I mean, if she was a very wealthy woman, wealthy family and everything upscale we are talking something akin to Eva Longoria's affair LOL

This is like an above-and-beyond-normal lavish wedding I guess. The thing with a wedding like that is, yeah. She will expect perfect perfect flowers of the exact kind she ordered for that price.

If you order a basic sheet cake from Walmart and write down I want "Happy Birthday Margaret" on it and they decide to do "Happy Birthday Maggie", you would likely shrug and pay. You can't expect the same kind of thing to happen with a $500 custom cake from a bakery... so she probably had high expectations.

I still say she should only get 75% back since the flowers were still used. If anyone knows what the outcome ends up being, please reply! I would love to hear if she gets her 400K!

snowqueen93 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 16

I totally disagree on the amount she should get back...If she paid 27K for the flowers, regardless of if they were used, she automatically should get the 27K back. Now, since the flowers were completely the wrong color, thus changing the whole theme of the wedding and causing panic for her when she saw the wrong color and a clash of the theme (thus emotional distress) the bride's event has now been compromised.

When there is a breach of contract, the person who breached that contract is liable for any damages that are foreseeable. Because the florist knew that the event was a wedding, which is ALWAYS color coordinated, and because the flowers weren't even close, the damage of emotional distress and a uncoordinated event is completely foreseeable.

There are many people who would say that she should be happy because she is married to her husband, and in love, and therefore she should be happy with what she got. I don't agree. Just because you are married to the man of your dreams doesn't mean that a vendor who screws up your event should get away with it. The florist took on something he could not handle. The florist's promises were relied on, and because he broke his contract there were subsequent damages, and he is liable for those. Think of all the time she spent coordinating her wedding. Personally I spent 1 year and everything revolved around my flowers and their color. I had magenta, if the flowers had come in as pale pink it would have thrown everything off and my one year of work would not have paid off.

Think of the construction of a house. If a person orders one color of cabinets and they do not match any of the other cabinets and then the person looses 50K on the sale of their house because the cabinets were all wrong that contractor would be liable....This is no different. If she could have corrected at the time she found the mistake (which was the day of the wedding) she could only hold him liable for the additional cost of the new flowers. Here she couldn't make that change last minute and thus he would be liable for any consequental damages he created and emotional distress is one of those....

although, she probably won't get the 400K she will most likely get a lot more than the 27K

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%