Fondant Bow

Decorating By cupcake_cutie Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 6:59am by wgoat5

cupcake_cutie Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have a baby shower cake due Friday and it needs a Fondant Bow. I tried the directions that they have on here for it, but it still didn't come out right. I didn't have enough strips for the bow and the strips that I did have started breaking. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have to do a 12 hour shift tomorrow, so I was trying to finish this cake today.

6 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton sells an already made bow, white I think, that can be colored to match your cake.

You can try making your bows thicker, form them and dry them on their sides for a day, and then attaching them together with royal icing or melted chocolate wafers to make your bow. Is that how you tried it the first time? When did they start breaking?

weirkd Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 7

Are you using fondant or gumpaste? If your using fondant, try adding a little tylose powder to it if you have it. It will prevent it from breaking so easy. Also if you roll your product out and run it through a pasta machine it will look nicer.
What I do is take either a broom stick or if you have a dowel that is about the same thickness use that. Have it set up on something so it wont roll around. Blue painters tape works well! Anyway, your going to cut your strips to about an inch and a half wide. You need to make atleast 18 of them to make the bow look full. Then your going to lay them over your dowel and pinch the bottom. Then let them dry overnight. Once their dry slip them off your dowel and layer them by putting four down one way (so your loop is straight across if that makes sense). I usually put a dab of RI on some wax paper to start it. Then on your next layer your going to turn some of them on their side. Add another dab of RI. Continue doing this until you reach the top and put the center in. You can add tails if you like and insert them in various places.
Hope this helps. If you look at one while your doing this you will see what Im talking about! Send picks when your done!

cupcake_cutie Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 7

Yes I put them on a broomstick and formed them last night. I just tryed to take them off of the stick and thats when some of them broke. I guess I'll have to try making them thicker and laying them on their sides rather than on the broomstick.

cupcake_cutie Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 7

What's tylose powder?

Tona Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 7

If you do not have Tylose Powder. Mix 70% Fondant with 30% Gumpaste and this will make it stronger and prevent it from breaking.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:59am
post #7 of 7

I never can get 100% fondant bow loops to turn out to my liking...I usually use 100 % gp but will use a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. You can also use gumtex (you can find gumtex at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or where ever they sell cake supplies in your area). I also don't form them on a stick...which might be why mine don't look like the one on the tutorial but I form and lay them on their side and shape accordingly icon_smile.gif

(mine broke also just using fondant)

HTH's

Christi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%