Sweetest Day Ideas-Help

Decorating By sweetideas Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:31am by vickymacd

sweetideas Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for a co-worker for her daughter for Sweetest Day this weekend. She wants chocolate on choc. Any ideas how to decorate it for a 9-year-old? I know the midwest is one of the few states that celebrates this holiday, but any help is appreciate. BTW this is the first cake I have been asked to make --even if it's for free, I still want to make a good impression. How can I incorporate some fall color into the chocolate them? or would you use just a heart or something along that line?

4 replies
JaneK Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 5

You could make some pretty roses ...ribbon or otherwise from chocolate tootsie rolls...I think that would be very appropriate for a 9 year old girl. You could also make a bow from chocolate fondant....chocolate upon chocolate can be very pretty...
I read in Wikopedia that the candy makers are thought to have promoted this holiday so covering it with choc candies of some sort would also be good...

fragglerock1 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

I'm of no help here, but was wondering what is Sweetest Day? I've never heard of it, is it like Valentine's Day? Does it take the place of Valentine's day?

apclassicwed Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 5

Sweetest Day is like Valentine's Day, said to have been started by the Sander's Candy Company in Detroit along with other candy & flower businesses in Michigan and Ohio. This used to be a pretty dry business time for flowers and candy companies--after wedding season and before holiday season, so Sweetest day was created to boost business. Most people I know that are not from Michigan or Ohio usually are not familiar with this day; not sure if Indiana or Illinois are in on this too.

vickymacd Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:31am
post #5 of 5

I work at a restaurant and we actually are bringing in more server to help on Sweetest Day because we're so busy! Funny how one company can boost a business with a silly Hallmark day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%