Dried Royal Icing Discolors When Cookie Is Dry

Baking By fraidy Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm by mmkwynne

fraidy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know why my colored royal icing discolors when it dries? I am using typical wilton recipe for outlining and flooding. I add the gel food coloring, don't overmix and make sure not to bake in humid weather. I have to make about double the amout that I need because the color always dries in uneven splotches. Of course it doesn't show up that day but a day or 2 later when it's too late to do anything about it.

7 replies
peardream Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 8

This happened to me too the last time I tried royal icing.
Someone said it might have been due to some grease left on the beaters or in the mixing bowl...I haven't tried again to see if this in fact was the issue.

sportsmom005 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

I made some last weekend and I didn't have that problem...I used the Antonia74 Royal Icing recipe on this site.

-Tubbs Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #4 of 8

Yup, I really think it is a speck of grease somewhere in your mixer bowl, on the beater etc. Since I started wiping everything down with a dilute vinegar solution before mixing, I have not had this problem. It is so frustrating when this happens, I know. I really think the vinegar will help you out. I now keep a bottle of pre-diluted solution in my pantry and wipe down with paper towels before I start.

mmkwynne Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 8

I haven't had miy Antonia74 RI dry with splotches, but it does dry in a flat matte instead of shiny. Anyone know anything about that?

antonia74 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 8

It's supposed to be matte, you're doing it right. icon_smile.gif

Some people add a tablespoon or two of corn syrup if they want a bit of gloss to it when it has dried.

MommaLlama Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 8

oh, corn syrup, I hadn't thought of that. I will definatly try that next time.

mmkwynne Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 8

Antonia - thanks for the response and the corn syrup idea!!! You are truly my inspiration "I want to be you when I grow up!!"

My cookies were a big hit! I just got an order for a bunch more but instead of Halloween, they want baseballs and baseball gloves with Colorado Rockies colors, etc!!! I'll post pics asap. Thank you so much for inspiring me to try my hand at cookies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%