Need Ideas For 17 Mini Wedding Cakes For Hot Climate

Decorating By rnoullet Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 4:57am by FrostinGal

rnoullet Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer that wants 17 small wedding cakes. icon_cry.gif She wants each cake to feed the 6 people at the table and one for each table. My idea was to maybe use the wilton mini pan set and use the 3in and 4in pans. She also wants a cake that will withstand May in New Orleans. icon_surprised.gif She suggested maybe using some type of clear glass cover over each cake. Any suggestions on any of this would be very appreciated. Also, what should I charge for each cake? I normally charge $4.00 a serving for simple fondant covered cakes and $3.00 for buttercream. But this is alot more work than a larger cake. Thanks for your experience and help. icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
FrostinGal Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

I just got done doing 18 centerpiece cakes, not even tiered ones, plus a small main cake last weekend. Charge like the wind, Bullseye!
For each cake to feed only 6 people a table, they are going to be awfully small and look out of proportion on the table, IMO. I wouldn't do smaller than a 4" and 6" cake. Charge accordingly, that is at least 12 servings! (I use Earlene's chart, which is fewer servings than Wilton.)
Even a 6" cake is kind of small, unless you put them on a pedestal of some sort, glass cake plates work best. If you will put the top of the cake plate in place, that will limit how tall your cake can be. Flower petals and votives around the cake add drama, giving the centerpiece some presence.
I'm assuming May in NO is very humid? In that case, insist that the cakes be done in fondant. A thin layer of buttercream underneath should fare well. Will this be inside of an air-conditioned room or outside? Or a non-a/c room?
FWIW, I wouldn't do it for less than $5 a serving, and wouldn't do smaller than a 4"-6" cake for each table. That is for basic fondant, simple border. Anything more is going to cost. Centerpiece cakes take a LOT of time. I had two wedding cakes last weekend, one was a 3-tiered square, one was the centerpiece cakes. The centerpiece cakes took 10 times the work of the 3-tier, and was only 69 more servings!! I also had the help of two fridges and two KA's, as well as paid my teen to clean and do dishes behind me, and my mom to help make buckets of icing. I got $430 for the cakes, and didn't make a profit. If you are looking to make some money, charge way more than that.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

18 cakes x 6 servings each .... the bride is planning for 108 servings. You've GOT to educate her that cakes are charged per serving .... and that's servings the cake is designed to serve, not necessarily the number of servings you are going to cut from it!

A KFC bucket of chicken is designed to serve 8 people. Just because you are only going to feed 4 people from it, doesn't mean you get it for half price!

No freakin' way would I do this kind of work for my standard $3 a serving based on HER EXPECTATION of 108 servings.

Based on the wilton wedding chart, a 6" serves 12 and I will guess a 4" will serve (let's be conservative) 6. That's 18 servings per cake x my rate of $3/serving = $54 per cake x 18 cakes = $972. Minimum.

EDUCATE her that she is buying cake for 324 people! I don't care how many pieces she is planning on cutting out of them, she's GETTING cake for 324 servings!

If I'm making cake for over 300 people, then I'm getting paid for cake for over 300 people.

Or she can have my standard 3 tier cake for 100 for $300.

FrostinGal Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for that post, Debi!
That's what I was trying to get across so un-eloquently! Just because the bride wants six servings per cake, doesn't mean that is how much cake she must buy! She's gonna have to buy a lot more cake than that!
The cakes I did were for a friend, and even she tried to get me to lower the price per cake because they were going to have less people per table! icon_eek.gif When she said that, I told her unless she wants what amounts to a large cupcake at each table, which I wouldn't do, she was going to have to go with the 6" tiers at the same price!
She wouldn't have gotten those cakes for less than $1000 around here! So, technically, I gave her a $570 present! icon_wink.gif
Centerpiece cakes would definitely qualify for a PITA charge!!
Debi, I love you KFC analogy!! Mind if I steal, er, borrow it? icon_wink.gif

beccakelly Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 8

i just booked an order for the mini table cakes for march. we're doing 3x2 on 4x2 two to each table (about 12 servings on each table). im charging her $960 and she didn't even blink an eye. she wanted it, so she's willing to pay for it. i totaled up my estimated costs (rent (includes ingredients), packaging, pans, etc) and i estimate that i will profit $550-600. which means it will cost me about $400 just to fill her order! i am recruiting my DH to help me handle all those tiny cakes (after some intense cake deco training, lol) because i couldn't imagine doing them by myself. definitely don't undercharge! looking back, i think i probably still undercharged slightly, and i should have charged closer to $1200. but ya live and learn! im meeting with another bride tonight who wants table cakes, and im gonna try and get her to use the same size pans so that i can reuse those at least.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

Debi, I love you KFC analogy!! Mind if I steal, er, borrow it? icon_wink.gif

Steal away, kid! (I consider that a great compliment! Thanks!)

I find that people can't relate to logic discussions about what's in a cake, but you put it in terms of KFC or McDonald's and they are suddenly clued in!

rnoullet Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

Ladies, thanks for the info so far. I agree that the 6 and 4 inch are a better choice. I was thinking that fondant was the right choice. YES, May in New Orleans is hot and humid and usually wet on top of that. The wedding is at a plantation, so I am assuming that it will be under a white tent. She also wants six different types of cake, so basically three of each flavor!!!

I like the idea of the cake plates, but any idea of what I could put over them? The bride wants glass, but it would have to be sort of tall. Maybe some sort of bug tent made pretty??? icon_lol.gif

FrostinGal Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:57am
post #8 of 8

How about a glass dome? Or an upside-down glass vase?
Bell Jar example:
They have vases that would work at Walmart and at Michael's. Would you rent the vases to cover the cakes, or have the bride pay for them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%