How Can I Make A "broken Window" Cookie?

Baking By kathik Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:52am by woodthi32

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 11

I want to make some cookies that look like a baseball is breaking it. Are there some large types of sugar crystals that might look like "glass"? And what color would you use blue or clear?

Any other ideas would be welcome, too!

Thanks,
Kathi

10 replies
kathik Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:12am
post #2 of 11

Anyone?? You guys are all so creative, surely someone has an idea!!

Kathi

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not sure about the sugar crystals but it might be neat to try one of those stained glass cookies, where you put some crushed up hard candies in to the area you are trying to fill, and then bake them.

You could make it look like a window...not sure about how it would look broken.

Here's a link to what I am talking about http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stained-glass-window-cookies/detail.aspx

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 11

I made stained glass cookies once with broken up fruit life savers. Really cool. Making it look broken, don't know. HTH

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 11

What if you made a ball with RI and let it harden overnight, then paint it with red lines to make it look like the baseball. Then place on a an iced cookie. Paint lines around the ball to look like shattered glass. Make sense?

kathik Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 11

My plan was to make square/rectangle cookies to look like a window with either a royal icing/fondant baseball looking like it was "entering" the window. I was hoping to use the sugar crystals or something to look like shards that are falling. I wanted the majority of the window to be iced, since I need to make 75 of these. Do you think the large sugar "sprinkles" will do this?

Thanks,
Kathi

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

My plan was to make square/rectangle cookies to look like a window with either a royal icing/fondant baseball looking like it was "entering" the window. I was hoping to use the sugar crystals or something to look like shards that are falling. I wanted the majority of the window to be iced, since I need to make 75 of these. Do you think the large sugar "sprinkles" will do this?

Thanks,
Kathi

i think you're on the right track! around the baseball, just use royal to make ridged crack lines and then sprinkle the sugar underneath (gravity) to look as if its falling down. you may want to slightly tint the icing for the unbroken glass and then leave the lines a brighter white to match the sanding sugar glass shards.

you could also make poured sugar (water and sugar cooked to the hard candy stage) and then crack it up to use for larger shards. that wouldnt be really pleasant to eat though in large pieces. i think you could make it work nicely with royal and sugar.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 11

honestly I wouldn't even bother with the sugar.....I'd just do some white mmf for the background and do maybe a shade of light grey to represent the cracking of the window and maybe do a window sill or whatever around the edge of the window ...I think people will understand what it's suppose to be......those thingies people stick on their car windows look like REAL broken glass and there isn't any crystals on them!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 11

ya know, i think i agree with khalstead. keep it simple, people will still easily understand. with the sugar, it *may* look too cluttered. though i am sure it could look good, it seems like extra work.

kathik Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #10 of 11

I think I'll experiment this week without the sugar and see how it looks. I have to make up some cookies for some holiday prototypes anyway.

Thanks for the different idea.

Kathi

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #11 of 11

Maybe you could make the stained glass, and actually try breaking it (carefullyof course, not with a hammer!) and then secure the broken pieces with piping gel, or maybe bake the lifesavers OFF the cookie in a square cookie cutter, break it, and assemble onto the cookie?? Maybe you could use the tropical lifesavers with the white ones in it?
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%