Need Help With Gold And Silver Dusting Powder To Make Swirls

Decorating By abed Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm by DianaMarieMTV

abed Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make swirly designs on the side of a fondant cake. I tried to add a little of gold dusting powder to lemon extract and it was too watery and you could barely see the gold swirls. Any advice? How much powder to add to alcohol extract? Help!!!

6 replies
rcs Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 7

I know what you mean! It seems like the powder just settles to the bottom! I found that it has to be pretty thick. I've had the best luck wetting by brush with vodka or extract and dipping it in the powder. I then work it into a paste on a piece of wax paper. I can always add a little more liquid to get the consistency that works best. Hope that helps!

abed Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7

thank you, that helps.

ShirleyW Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 7

Adding one part Super Pearl Luster dust to two parts Silver or Gold will give you a depth to the color as well as a true metallic look. I mix mine with Everclear or vodka to about the consistency of unwhipped cream or latex wall paint.

ShirleyW Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry, CC seems to be double and triple posting today with no way to delete the extra posts.

ShirleyW Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 7

#*#*! icon_redface.gif

DianaMarieMTV Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 7

Sounds like you're using far too much liquid. I scoop up a little dust on my paintbrush and put into the container I'm mixing in. Then add liquid a single drop at a time untill it is creamy, like creamer kind of like shirley said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%