Will Only Be Receiving $250 For My $572 Cake

Business By missmeg Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm by missmeg

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #61 of 68

I am always so sad when I read of a situation like OhMyGoodies describes, unfortunately the basic truth is that not everybody who claims to be a Christian is one, pastors included. From they way he acts, I believe my uncle became a pastor so people would think well of him and do things for him. I have never met anybody else who thinks that you should give them something just because they asked you for it. Sadly, there are many people throughout history who have used the Church and twistd Biblical teaching to satisfy their own desires.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

My thought is that if you approached her about doing the cake, and she told you their budget was tight for dessert, why would come up with an idea that was so elaborate and give them an invoice for over $500? To me, that doesn't fit into what she even told you was a tight budget. I don't understand why you were surprised that she offered $250. To me, that doesn't even fit into a tight budget! Ifyou are going to be resentful about it, then don't do it. Tell them you can do sheets and charge what you feel is appropriate. I did a 3 tier, very nice cake for our VBS this summer, and didn't take a penny for it. I approached her about doing the cake, and she told me they didn't have much in hte budget for it. I didn't care, and had an idea that I really wanted to do, so I did it, and didn't charge a dime for it! She was thankful, and I got a nice pic for my website. During that 8 day period of the week I did the free cake for church, I had over $700 in orders! My biggest week yet! I donated it with a happy heart, everyone went nuts over the cake, I got to feel good about donating it, and I ended up having my best week of orders! God is amazing!

I completely agree!

Several years ago when I was first getting into tiered cakes I did one for free for a church anniversary. I just asked that the church buy the flowers but I bought everything else. I just wanted the practice, without the stress of having to live up to what I was paid. Plus I knew they didn't have the money to pay me.

I have a hard time because I am a pastors wife and I never want anyone to feel like "my pastors wife scalped me for a cake" so when ppl ask how much I charge (from my church or my son's christian school) I just say "donation only" or maybe a discounted price if they beg for a price. I stay low key though about my cakes and don't get too many orders from church folks, and of course any cakes for the church I do free. Last year I did two full sheet cakes for my son's Christian school graduation and just told them it was a donation. Just last week they sent me a check for $150 and said they were very sorry they "forgot to pay"... I never even expected it.

Anyway I feel like if someone volunteers to make the cake, they are at the mercy of someone else's budget. Its not fair to say "I'll make you a cool cake but I'm going to be upset if you can't pay me enough." Especially when it deals with church, as most average churches can't budget a ton of money for cake like maybe a corporation would be able to. Just think of how many smiles and compliments you'll get that day and it will also be more practice and a photo for your portfolio.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #63 of 68

I am so sorry to hear such tales about churchs. The sad fact is that NOT everyone in a church is a Christian. I do know of churchs where the pastor has a fancy home etc.....in my own denomination our pastors are paid the same LITERALLY no matter where they live...be it PoDunk, USA or New York City. That makes it really hard on some pastor's families.

As for charging my own church...that will never happen. I would NEVER accept a penny from my church for a cake. I do go to a very small church that is full of wonderful people that I love like family. We are building a brand new church right now and when it is ready and we have a celebration I will be making the fanciest finest cake that I can make but I would never expect money for it. Our church was destroyed by Hurricane Rita and I can't wait for our new one to be ready.

I have provided shower cakes for church members but they are my contribution to the event and I have supplied for our private school, too. Our church is little - a cake for 80 would be fine for almost ANYTHING.

The Lord has blessed me and it is a small thing that I can do for the church.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

The Lord has blessed me and it is a small thing that I can do for the church.

What came to mind when I read this was how I work with my sister's church. She is way more religious than I am and is very involved with her church. But whenever I need some rock-solid shoulder to lean on and some good honest advice, she's the little sis that I turn to and much as I hate to confess it to her, when I really really listen to her, things work out well for me.

I've done a few caterings at her church .... nephew's graduations, church valentine dinners, a wedding or two, etc. Some of them I even got paid for! icon_lol.gif Bear in mind that she is 75 miles away from me. I don't charge a delivery fee. I don't set a minimum. I do it because it's my way of saying "thanks" for the help she gives me. Because I know her church is very important to her, it's my way of giving thanks to her.

I have a Christmas Dinner for them coming up in Dec. It's for 20 people. No way I would ever drive 75 miles for only 20 people (heck, no way I'd walk next door for only 20 people!) ..... but I'll do it for this church, who has become a 2nd family for my sister.

It might sound cheesy .... but that's honestly why I do it for them.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:00am
post #65 of 68

Sometimes doing a good deed just feels good. thumbs_up.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:53am
post #66 of 68

Many pastors are bivocational...they have a full time job outside of the ministry. Their wives also work many times! Just because a pastor lives in a nice house and drives a nice car, yet pastors a church....large or small, doesn't mean the church is paying them too much.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #67 of 68

indydeb that is so sweet!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Anyway I feel like if someone volunteers to make the cake, they are at the mercy of someone else's budget. Its not fair to say "I'll make you a cool cake but I'm going to be upset if you can't pay me enough." Especially when it deals with church, as most average churches can't budget a ton of money for cake like maybe a corporation would be able to. Just think of how many smiles and compliments you'll get that day and it will also be more practice and a photo for your portfolio.

UPDATE: I had a quick conversation with the banquet chair, and agreed on $300 for the cake. I'm happy, she's happy, and I'm going to make a marvelous and beautiful cake icon_smile.gif. She was seriously afraid I would back out...which would never have happened.

And I'm also thrilled that my dd's godparents OFFERED to pick my kids up from school on Friday and take them overnight...just so I can work on the cake in silence Friday night :thumbsup:. Can't ask for a better gift than that.

As to the quote above, I stated before and will state again...I just needed to whine for a moment. I'm still learning/figuring out how to budget for customers. I honestly did not know what the invoice of the cake was going to be until she gave me a final headcount. I had told her all along that the first invoice would be "full price". But somehow in my head I had started mentally spending the $572, because honestly I had no idea that's how much the cake would come to. Up till this point the only time I've fed 200+ people was with sheetcakes. Tiered cakes are a whole different animal.

I do appreciate everyone's advice. Please know that I am doing this cake for my church with all the glory and love and talent God has given me. There is no resentment or anger over the price.

As for charging the church in the first place...well, that is between me and them. I don't care to discuss the reasons behind it. But it's mutual on both sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%