Cupcake Bouquet...help!

Decorating By cattycornercakes Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm by cattycornercakes

cattycornercakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 9

I posted this question a couple days ago right as the website was being worked on so I really didn't get any answers...thought I'd post it again...

I had been wanting to try out making a cupcake bouquet and I got the instructions here. I made some great cupcakes this weekend and iced them. They looked great. I started putting them on the styrofoam ball. The top one and the next row went on ok. As I started the next row, the cupcake started tearing where the skewer went in. I ate those haha

So I'm assuming I probably need a fairly dense cupcake to make this work? The ones I made were pretty fluffy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

8 replies
JoAnnB Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 9

Perhaps if you can find an answer in the article about cupcake bouquets. Here is a link:'

http://www.cakecentral.com/article133-How-To-Make-a-CupCake-Bouquet.html

cattycornercakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 9

Yeah..those are the instructions I followed.

Maybe its just trial and error...guess I'll be eating a lot of cupcakes!! haha

snowshoe1 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 9

Enjoy eating those extra cupcakes. This happened to me when I tried it - so I only use the smaller cupcakes (I almost always use WASC recipe so I think the cupcake is dense enough (?)).

The following is extracted from the instructions - maybe you had alot of icing on the cupcake?

" Be aware that the heavier you apply your icing, the more weight youâre adding to the cupcake, which could cause problems with your cupcakes staying on the toothpicks. If you like heavier icing, you may want to âupgradeâ your toothpicks to skewers or even lollipop sticks. If using lollipop sticks, you will have to âstartâ a hole in the bottom of your cupcake first with a skewer or similar sharp object"

cattycornercakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 9

I was thinking I'd try the WASC recipe next go around. That might be dense enough to not tear.

Thanks!

ShaunaCann Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 9

Are you using skewers or toothpicks? I used toothpicks and they worked great with just using a box cake mix.

kansaslaura Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 9

I make quite a few cupcake bouquets and don't have a problem with tearing. I do use 2 toothpics per cupcake, about an inch apart-- put in at an upwards slant. If it still doesn't seem stable for some reason, I'll run a skewer down the middle of it and cut it off level with the cupcake. (And that is rare)

I've used all kinds of different cake for them, so unless it's a really tender cake, I can't imagine too much of a problem.

HTH

Ldydesignr Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 9

I've done several cupcake bouquets. Even took one over an hour drive to work. Used my reqular recipe, 1M icing tip and didn't have a problem. I used the ice cream sticks from a craft store. I tried to make sure and make the bottom row so that it was not at a big angle. So the stick could support it more. I usually started from the bottom row and worked in. Hope this helps some. Good Luck, cupcake bouquets are so pretty and so impressive.

cattycornercakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 9

I was using skewers and the cupcakes were from a box mix. Maybe I'll try 2 toothpicks or the ice cream sticks next time. I'll get it to work somehow! I love the look of the bouquets!

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%