Box Cake Mixes

Baking By jamie7326 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm by aswartzw

jamie7326 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamie7326 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 9

I have heard that you can use applesauce or mayo in a box cake mix in place of the oil. Is this true?

8 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, I do it quite often. I just substitute equal amounts. mayo makes it very moist.

jamie7326 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamie7326 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 9

thank you so much

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 9

A lot of folks use applesauce for a reduced calorie cake.

My daughter makes a scratch cake using applesauce instead of oil and it doesn't take like apples at all. It's pretty much the only scratch cake I've had that I'll actually eat.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 9

I used mayo once and I'll never do it again. When I tasted the batter I gaged. The cake didn't taste any better when it came out of the oven either. Everyone else said they liked it. It was called a chocolate mayonaise cake and that's exactly what it tasted like. Never again.

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 9

Did you make the Hellmann's chocolate cake recipe? I was a little unsure at 1st because you think - who wants to taste mayo in their cake? But I've made the 1 from their website & it is sooo good. It comes out really moist & you don't taste mayo at all!!!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmer

I used mayo once and I'll never do it again. When I tasted the batter I gaged. The cake didn't taste any better when it came out of the oven either. Everyone else said they liked it. It was called a chocolate mayonaise cake and that's exactly what it tasted like. Never again.

Are you sure you didn't use Salad Dressing instead of Mayo? Chocolate Mayonaise cakes are VERY popular for their taste and moistness around here. Thanks to my Chocolate Mayonaise Cake, I've got to take one to EVERY (repeat, EVERY!!!!!) single family get together. When I don't or bring something else, I hear about it ALL DAY!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

I have substituted applesauce for the oil with great results. You don't have the taste of applesauce at all. I actually just made a low fat/calorie pumpkin spice cake with pumpkin spice mousse for my Mom, MIL, and myself who are all trying to watch what we eat. It came out awesome! I'll be making it again.....soon. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 9

I've had chocolate cakes before only to find out later it had mayo in it. I was shocked. I couldn't tell at all and I hate mayo!

I've never subbed applesauce before but really want to try it because I'm really looking at making food healthy. Especially dessert since that means I can eat all I want, right? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%