Bride Sues Florist!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 1:42am by funcakes

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 16

Check out this news story, and say a quick little prayer of thanks that none of us (I think) did her cake! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/10/16/bride.flowers.ap/index.html

15 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 16

OMG! could you imagine? I wonder what quality the picture was that was given to the florist? icon_surprised.gif

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 16

I just saw that! They spent over $27,000 for the flowers alone icon_eek.gif

Wonder what they spent on the cake icon_rolleyes.gif

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 16

A bad situation all around! pink & green is a far cry from rust & green---I wonder if the rust hydragena is a hard to get flower? But really to sue for $400,000?!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 16

Just yikes. That's all I can say. icon_eek.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 16

WHen I wrote a newspaper column on planning weddings, one of my columns (that I quote FREQUENTLY to brides!) was entitled "No One Will Notice".

No one will notice if the flowers on the tables are NOT the same as the flowers in the bride's bouquet. No one will notice if the printing on the napkins is NOT the same as the printing on the invitations. No one will notice if the invitations are printed in black ink instead of printed in "rust".

I'm betting the centerpieces looked very nice and no one other than the bride really noticed that they WEREN'T rust colored. I can understand being disappointed, but not $400,000 worth.

My impression is that florists tend to have a clause about "substitutions" in case something happens at the last minute and they can't get the flowers specifically needed. I mean, how can you control a mass growing failure at one of the large greenhouses right before a wedding? Hopefully, he has his contracts in order to cover this.

If he just flat out ordered the wrong ones, then it's a different story, of course.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 16

Well, it figures, since the bride/client is a lawyer.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 16

Wow! Crazy! I can't even imagine having $27k to spend on flowers!!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 16

Am I the only one thinking that they are having buyer's remorse and are trying to get back the wedding costs with the $400K they are trying to get from the florist?
Florists tell you they may not be able to get the exact color you are looking for when you order something that is not standard. And why the heck didn't the florist get out the floral spray and color those flowers himself?!?!
"Painting the roses red...we're painting the roses red...."
Sometimes we'd have to do that for cake orders that the event planners, who took the cake orders, were too stupid to know that flowers didn't come in those colors. Duh! What about the time we had to buy 10 flats of pansies in the winter to get enough pansies for a wedding cake? One flower per pansy plant!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 16

well, if they had a problem matching the colors she wanted, could they have told her in advance or the day b4 the wedding that there is a problem with the colors ? what about those dusty vases ? what is their explanation for that ? icon_rolleyes.gif I'm sure there are photos to back these claims. Weddings esp. those pricey ones have a lot of photos taken.. icon_rolleyes.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 16

I believe the saying is in order... "The person who uses themselves for a lawyer has a fool for a client!"

Granted, I can't imagine having $27K to spend on flowers alone (our wedding for 400 guests cost far less than that!), but from reading this article it sounds like this lawyer belongs on bridezillas instead of People's Court! (which is probably where her case is heading).. Unfortunately, she probably hasn't learned the words "Frivolous Lawsuit" yet. Maybe the nice judge will teach her a course in it.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

WHen I wrote a newspaper column on planning weddings, one of my columns (that I quote FREQUENTLY to brides!) was entitled "No One Will Notice".

No one will notice if the flowers on the tables are NOT the same as the flowers in the bride's bouquet. No one will notice if the printing on the napkins is NOT the same as the printing on the invitations. No one will notice if the invitations are printed in black ink instead of printed in "rust".

I'm betting the centerpieces looked very nice and no one other than the bride really noticed that they WEREN'T rust colored. I can understand being disappointed, but not $400,000 worth.

My impression is that florists tend to have a clause about "substitutions" in case something happens at the last minute and they can't get the flowers specifically needed. I mean, how can you control a mass growing failure at one of the large greenhouses right before a wedding? Hopefully, he has his contracts in order to cover this.

If he just flat out ordered the wrong ones, then it's a different story, of course.

Yep! There is often a substitution clause and also, typically a phrase which will, and I paraphase, explain that exact colors aren't always possible since mother nature influences the color, tone, and hue of the flower petals and the wedding couple needs to plan accordingly. As to contacting the bride ahead of time, often the large amount of flowers for an event are ordered in bulk months in advance ( and judging by this floral price tag, that's a given here), arriving a few days prior to the event. To get substitutions at that late a date may be impossible. But, it certainly would have been the better route to go as far as good customer service.... maybe offer a 10% discount if the bride had issues at that point in time. Hopefully, the florist has all this in his contract or he's in trouble.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 16

I saw this story this morning on Fox news and about spit out my coffee all over the TV set...

Like stated before, I can see dispointment and I can see that the florist may should have let her know the outcome prior to just dropping of product without consulting the bride first to work out a resolutiuon...but $400,000 for mental anguish???

I remember the reporting saying something that stuck with me...

In 5 yrs, she'll look back and have more memories of her divorce then the color of her flowers...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 16

The article didn't say one way or the other, so perhaps the florist DID tell her the colors weren't exactly the same. If it was too late to do anything about it, those flowers were used (rather than have no flowers) and they just decided to sue anyway because the color was wrong.

Just trying to give a benefit of the doubt to the florist here.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 16

I personally hate what I can the "sue mentality" people who sue over anything and everything that doesn't go exactly the way they want it to. I can understand that if you pay $27,000 for flowers you want them to be what you envisaged but if the florist did order the wrong flowers (and it wasn't just a natural variation) and the vases were dusty then she should be just seeking a refund at most.

My best friend wanted white roses at her wedding and on the day they were yellow, she was disappointed at the time but you know what? she got over it. At my wedding we had previously told the celebrant we specifically wanted a short but sweet ceremony just the vows/i-do's and he went and added in poems and other stuff we didn't want off his own back which also threw out our schedule with the reception centre etc. I was annoyed but I got over it and our wedding was still one of the best days of my life. Neither of us sued or carried on about it.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #16 of 16

So, I guess that this bride didn't have a wise grandma like I did, and many of you did. One that always told you "Don't sweat the small stuff"

Do these people live such a charmed life that the color of flowers is now a tragedy? Oh, yes color is very important to me. Now more that before because a wonderful woman gave me oil painting lessons and now I really see everything around me differently. BUT----
how could I ever forget that another couple from my church were supposed to marry the day before my wedding. The groom to be died in an accident the week before the wedding. Compared to that-the color of the flowers seems insignificant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%