Ok Need Help...customer Wants A Display Cake For

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm by indydebi

wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:34am
post #1 of 14

her home to put on a pedestal....Not for anything special but she wants to keep it on this crystal pedestal for awhile.....SOOOO....I don't want to have to get the special icing for this one cake....what can I use for the icing? Not covered in fondant or anything. She wants me to decorate it in Marilyn Monroe theme icon_eek.gif . Sooo what's your takes on this? She wants me to shilack (SP) it so she can keep it....what do I do?

Thanks in advance

Christi

13 replies
Ursula40 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:51am
post #2 of 14

Gingerbread house? Be interested in finding our how you're going to do this, sounds weird though

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:53am
post #3 of 14

I use my standard BC recipe but I omit the dream whip and the vanilla, since no one is eating it. When I put this on styrofoam, it hardens like concrete, and will keep for months (MONTHS!!!!!). THere is no need to shellac it or treat it in any way.

leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 14

Fondant really will be the easiest. And I generally need to give my dummies a quick spray with -- bug (ant) spray, just to keep the critters away.

wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you guys for answering ... I didn't get any notices icon_sad.gif

Have a great day!!!

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Thank you guys for answering ... I didn't get any notices icon_sad.gif

Have a great day!!!

I'm not getting them either. I'm sure it's just a temporary thing until the conversation to the new servers is all worked out.

acookieobsession Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 14

Shilac might give it a yellow hue so check it out first.... You could use royal icing.....

wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you cookie monster LOL icon_smile.gif I have a little time as I told her I couldn't do it this week BUT...weird request....I dunno we will see icon_sad.gif

Have a great day ya'll icon_biggrin.gif

Christi

Daisy1 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 14

Royal will hold up for years & you can sand it perfectly smooth once it dries.

msmeg Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 14

I would use Royal icing and I would not coat it with anything

my sister made me a sugar egg with royal icing flowers 20 years ago and it is still fine... well the purple violets faded but it still looks lovely and even though we get ants each year never had a problem with that egg.

KatieTaylor77 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 14

I think her theme is odd, but I keep dummy cakes on top of a mini-cake stand I purchased so I think the request is ok.

I just like the way it looks to have a cute little fake-cake decorated and sitting on this cute pedestal I bought at a local vintage shop. I put ribbon through the cake stand to match the season and decorate the dummy cake accordingly.

I only use fondant or royal icing. Last winter I used fake jewelry and did an all white and silver crazy snowflake themed cake . . . its fun to go crazy with the dummy cakes!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:10am
post #12 of 14

That's what I am having problems with...the theme icon_sad.gif Marilyn Monroe icon_sad.gif

Thinking about doing a collage cake...doing pictures of her and laminated them and putting them around the cake...

How much royal for lets say a 8 inch dummy cake?

Thank you icon_smile.gif

victorianne_sweets Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:34am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use my standard BC recipe but I omit the dream whip and the vanilla, since no one is eating it. When I put this on styrofoam, it hardens like concrete, and will keep for months (MONTHS!!!!!). THere is no need to shellac it or treat it in any way.

Would you mind sharing your BC recipe? Thanks!

indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%