Cake That Looks Like Toast W/pat Of Butter??? Help?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 4:40pm by kellertur

kellertur Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 10

Hi,
I have been asked by hubby to make a cake for the office for Friday- for a brunch. My husband suggested a cake in the shape of " Toast w/ pat of butter." I've looked for pictures for ideas, can't find one... icon_cry.gif

Any ideas- it's for a brunch (someone's moving to another department)
I didn't want to do any bacon & egg cakes though...

thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
mommachris Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:33am
post #2 of 10

I have seen cakes that looked like a stack of pancakes. Round cake with a fondant ropes around the edges and a pat of fondant butter. I think they used piping gel tinted brown for syrup over the bc.

There was a waffle cake too.
Try the search window....it is under the picture of Boween on the right of the screen.

mommachris

FrostinGal Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 10

I'm thinking two 12x2" squares. After splitting and filling, carve each square to resemble a slice of bread. Crumb coat, then ice each cake smooth in a light tan color for wheat bread, off-white for white bread. Use a sponge or some other rough-textured item to get the centers of the cake spongy looking, like bread. lie strips of cardboard across each cake for the toaster marks and airbrush or color spray a toasty brown, mostly the center, not to the edges. Remove the strips and airbrush the "crust" brown, too, to about 1-1 1/2" in towards the center. Place the first toast onto a "plate" or covered cake board. Dowel and stack the second piece of "toast" onto the first, off-center. Mold a pale yellow pat of butter from candy melts and melt some in a bag. Make a pool of melted candy for the melted butter, then place the pat in the center. Drizzle the pat with melted butter at the sides, to make it look like it is melting.
I can see it perfectly in my head. Where'd Doug when I need him? LOL

MandyBs Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 10

You could use a charger that looks like an oversized plate for the cake board.

Prudence Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 10

FrostinGal-

That's perfect!! thumbs_up.gif If you wanted, you could also do it in fondant.

Love the idea! Can't wait to see it. It is making me hungry!!

kellertur Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 10

thanks everyone, I'll be sure to post it.

You know, this website - all you cakers, are so very supportive. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how helpful you all are.

thanks so much. icon_biggrin.gif

FrostinGal Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:08am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudence

FrostinGal-

That's perfect!! thumbs_up.gif If you wanted, you could also do it in fondant.

Love the idea! Can't wait to see it. It is making me hungry!!

Fondant would have been my first choice, but the sharp edges needed for the bread slices would be tricky. I can make a much sharper BC edge.

Can't wait to see a pic, Tynie! Be sure and let us know when it is up!

kellertur Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #8 of 10

Hey all-
I'm finished!!! So maybe I don't suck at this afterall.... icon_rolleyes.gif

It's white cake w/ only buttercream icing. I had so much fun making this cake- these food cakes are a riot! icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone for your input. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

FrostinGal Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

Excellent! Left you a comment. How did the brunch go?

kellertur Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks-
It went well, we dropped off the cake this morning- everyone got such a kick out of it.

Thanks again for the help.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%