Gold Decorations Ideas Needed.

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:37pm by topaz176

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:50am
post #1 of 6

Someone ask me to do a gold birthday cake.
I am going to use gold and white ruffles, and I have some gold dragees.
Any other idea to bring up the gold?
The icing color( golden yellow) looks to yellow to me!!!!!

5 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

You can make a pipeable gold by mixing one teaspoon gold luster dust with one teaspoon powdered sugar. Then add enough piping gel to make it the consistency you want. It's sort of an expensive way to get gold accents, but if you wanted to (for example) write Happy Birthday in gold, you could do it that way. Since it makes only a small amount, I usually just fill a tip with it (no bag) and push it througth the tip with my thumb. And since you'd only want to use this for accents, it will probably be more than you need. Store it in an airtight container if you have leftover.

Deanna

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 6

If you are using a crusting buttercream, you can brush gold pearl dust (or luster dust) on your ruffles. I used Wilton's pearl dust (mixed with vodka) on my last cake, and it looked fairly gilded in person. I colored the buttercream with Americolor gold coloring.

Edited to add: I think I actually used a bit of bronze mixed with the gold. The gold by itself is pretty light.

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:44am
post #4 of 6

If you wanted to do some sort of design in gold you could first pipe royal icing onto parchment paper, let it dry completely, then paint it gold with the lustre dust mixture. Examples would be lattice work, lace-type designs, etc... but once they are dry they are fragile, but they look beautiful on cakes.

Jasmine

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 6

You can also make your writing and other decorations our of chocolate transfer and then dust them with cold luster dust, these cakes I did the writing and roses in choc.
LL
LL

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

Wow !!
Your cakes are beautiful!!!
I never worked with Luster dust before.
This is something I definite have to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%