Help Making An Alien Cake

Decorating By MandyE Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 5:21am by ceshell

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 6

So I think I'm going to try to do an alien spacecraft/flying saucer cake. My question is how? Does the bottom need to be fake or will it stand up under the weight of the top layer. I don't have the galleries to look at right now with website updates so I need some assistance here. Also, I wanted to do a glass bubble on top. Is there a way to make this edible? I've never done any sugar stuff, so I'm not sure how difficult this would be.

Also, if anyone has any pics they can post here in this message, that would be great too. I need to get her a price but want to figure out what I'm doing first.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

TIA!
Mandy

5 replies
mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 6

You may want to pm Doug. He seems to be the one who can explain how to construct 3D cakes.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #3 of 6

mandy, what a fun idea! have you seen the alien cake in debbie browns book? its really cool. i will pm you with instructions.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

Here's one I did a while back...I stacked 3 10 inch cakes and did lots of carving to get the angles arched just right.. I iced the cake in butter cream icing ,and I used a lid from a fountain drink for the dome and fondant for the rest of decorations ....since I did this cake and had such a time doing all the carving and battling the crumbs mixing in the icing, I came across a nice round bowl that will be perfect if I ever have to do another one...
LL

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #5 of 6

Hummmm let me see if I can get the picture to show up bigger...
LL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:21am
post #6 of 6

The lid from a fountain drink - what a brilliant idea! Filing that in my head in case I ever need to do an alien cake icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the great tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%