Need Advice On Cake Duff Will Judge

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm by all4cake

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 7

Sport Fit Health Clubs (owned by Duff's Dad) is having their 10th anniversary and as part of the celebration they are having 25 people decorate cakes for a contest judged by Duff himself. I am very lucky that i get to be one of the 25.

Per the club, this is not for professionals,which i am not, and that there really are no rules. It has to be edible and he will be judging mostly on creativity. It can be any size and there will be some people just entering basic cakes as part of the competition.

My plan was to do a 2 tiered stacked cake (12 in & 10 in) with RKT #10 standing on top. I made gumpaste figures of people exercising, walking on a treadmill, lifiting weights, etc. (Mind you they look like my 9 year old made them)

I was going to do the logo and some wording.

Anyway- I have had a lot going on and am stressing. After some thought today I am thinking that I may be going overboard and putting too much on my shoulders. icon_smile.gif I then thought maybe I would just do the 12 inch with the 10 on top, all the people, and the wording.

What would you do? It is not a professional competition, I dont even know if there is a prize but I want to impress Duff (btw I adore him). I just dont want to show up with this huge cake but I dont want to blend in either. What do you think. (Sorry so long).

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 7

I think you should relax and make this fun. Sit down and decide what you have time to do well. Do just that and let all the rest go. What you really want is whatever you decide to do to be done the best you can. That always works better than a bunch of extra stuff done less well.

Am I making sense? Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, either. It will only stress you out. Good luck on the contest, I hope you get to meet him!

rnoullet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnoullet Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 7

I am a huge Duff fan too and if I have learned anything, he loves fireworks! icon_razz.gif I think, just do what makes you feel good and see how it goes. Good luck!

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with katatara... you want to do whatever it is YOU do best. It's better to do something a little tame well, than to do something huge that is just so-so...

I also adore Duff, however, there are things that I think even I (and I'm sure YOU) can do better than he does!

Have FUN...it's a chance of a lifetime!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

Just relax & have fun with it. Try doing something unique & colorful. I love Duff to death, but some of his figure work is not the best that I've seen. I guess that's why he has several "artists" that can do the figure work. My point is, usually people have "weak" points when it comes to cake decor (I know I have my share!). Maybe you could put lots of dumbells on the cake & maybe a jumproap for the bottom border. It may even help to go to the gym & have a look around.
Try to focus on your strong talents when decorating your cake. Good luck!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 7

Well first of all, your one of 25 people. That is a big honor in itself so you must be good at what you do to be chosen!
Off the top of my head I was thinking dumbbells. Why not scrap all the figures and stuff and make your two tired cake a couple of dumbbell weights stacked on top of each other? I think it would look really cool and you wouldnt have to do so many little figures.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 7

OMG! The first thing you have to do in a situation like this is

PANIC!!!!!!!

OK
Looks like you've gotten that part taken care of.

Now, set all that panic out of the way(you can retrieve it AFTER the cake is delivered, if needed).
Have fun. Take the advice of the PPs and do what you have time to do and do those things the best you can.

If it's to be judged, your cake will be noticed no matter how big it is.

When is the competition?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%