Buttercream For Diabetics? Need Recipe...please Help!

Decorating By cassi_g16 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm by mixinvixen

cassi_g16 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 6

I have found a cake recipe that calls for splenda with no regular sugar added. Now I need to find a recipe for buttercream!

I have found a recipe for making powdered sugar with splenda, using granulated splenda and cornsyrup in a blender. Wonder if I could use this in my regular buttercream??

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:02am
post #3 of 6

Just remember those recipes make a *very* small amount. When you increase the amount used, the person will have to make major adjustments to their diet.

mixinvixen Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #4 of 6

i just learned a valuable tip in the hardest of ways, so i wanted to give you a heads up...i recently did the diabetic icing with splenda, and while it had a very nice light taste and texture, DO NOT PUT IT UNDER FONDANT!!! the real sugar in the fondant reacts with the splenda and it starts melting...my cake was actually dripping out from under the fondant. i had to totally redo it!!

good luck with your search!

Shyanne_Mommy Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

i just learned a valuable tip in the hardest of ways, so i wanted to give you a heads up...i recently did the diabetic icing with splenda, and while it had a very nice light taste and texture, DO NOT PUT IT UNDER FONDANT!!! the real sugar in the fondant reacts with the splenda and it starts melting...my cake was actually dripping out from under the fondant. i had to totally redo it!!

good luck with your search!

Mixinvixen did you get the recipe for your diabetic icing off of here or from somewhere else?

I would love to have a new recipe...I am a diabetic and always looking for new things I can eat and feel like I am doing bad but really not!

Autumn

mixinvixen Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 6

from here.

like i said before, it had a really light taste, and would be great icing a simple cake, but not one that needs any type of fondant or support.

good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%