Ants In My Kit, Help!!

Decorating By hsimoneau Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm by hsimoneau

hsimoneau Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 12

Can I boil my icing tips, flower forming trays, etc in water to sterilize them? I found ants in my box and then, of course, first thing sprayed ant-killer stuff all over it. I have a while before I need to use anything, at least. Can I use bleach? Just d'washing liquid with antibacterial power? What can I do?

If I need to throw it all out, just tell me. I'm frugal, but I would rather replace stuff than gross anyone out.

Thanks!!

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 12

I would give them a good soak and carefully wash them. Anything that can go in the dishwasher, run it through.

jibbies Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 12

I would think that any metal items you could boil, but the plastic stuff rinse under running water and then wash with bleach, actually I think washing the metal items with bleach would be just fine. If any decorating bags are involved if they are the vinyl coted material was them in your washing machine on hot with some bleach, thats what I do with mine anyway.
BTW welcome to CC

Jibbies

ChristaPaloma Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 12

You should be fine to nuke the tips in the micowave in a plastic bowl with a bit of soap and fully covered with water. Microwaves steralize.

Charmed Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 12

If you sprayed them with ant killer spray since it is poison, I would discard them.

KathysCC Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #6 of 12

I would say the same thing as charmed. Vinyl and plastic tend to "hold-on" to oil-based products which is what most spray poisons are. I'd be reluctant to use anything for food that had been sprayed with poison. Metal and glass can probably be cleaned in the dishwasher.

Check the poison label. Most say to not use on or around food preparation surfaces. There is one specific natural spray poison that can be used in the kitchen but the rest cannot. Also, if you are still not sure. Call the 800 number on the poison container. They will know better than anyone.

redpanda Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #7 of 12

Bioganics makes a wintergreen and rosemary based ant killer that can be used around food.

I would definitely discard the plastic/vinyl items. The metal or glass should be fine after multiple cycles through the dishwasher. I'd probably power-scrub them, to make sure nothing stuck.

KoryAK Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:24am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPaloma

You should be fine to nuke the tips in the micowave in a plastic bowl with a bit of soap and fully covered with water. Microwaves steralize.




Microwaves also spark like a mother and get ruined when you put metal (tips) in them... no?

sugarlove Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 12

I do it all the time...throw the metal tips and plastic couplers in a pot, add water, bleach, dish detergent, and broil. You can prewash before doing this.

step0nmi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 12

"Microwaves also spark like a mother and get ruined when you put metal (tips) in them... no?"


If you have the water over the tips they will just move around in the boiling water...very cool and easy!!! Does not effect the microwave

redpanda Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 12

Microwave ovens vary in their tolerance for metal. Read your user manual before putting in metal. I've had ones that can tolerate metal, as long as it isn't in contact with the bottom or sides of the over, but my current one definitely does not. I accidentally left a tiny piece of foil (less than a half inch square) on a plate of leftovers, and it really sparked and put up a fuss.

hsimoneau Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, everybody. I've concluded that the best thing to do is replace all the plastic stuff and clean, scrub, boil the dickens out of my metal tips. I didn't think I could salvage the icing bags, and I've already tossed the lollipop sticks. Hmmm, I guess all my icing colors will have to go. I'll just start building my Christmas list! Off to find something to hold whatever I can keep and start up a pot of boiling water.

BTW, it didn't even occur to me that the spray was poison, so, even though it might have seemed obvious to point it out, thanks, charmed.[/list]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%