What's This Worth To You???

Decorating By lilmansmum Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm by cakes47

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 19

I made this gumball machine cake for my little boy's 8th birthday this weekend. Thanks to all the fellow CCers who gave me some awesome ideas!

I know that prices vary by region, but I'd like to get a general idea of what to charge for a cake like this. I'm not in business, but I have been doing more and more cakes. It started just for family and friends, but as I get more experience, I get more requests. (I've been decorating for eight years now.) I'm just not sure how much something like this is worth. Of course, I think it's priceless, simply because I enjoy doing it, and I only decorate cakes because of the satisfaction I get out of the finished product. icon_biggrin.gif ...but anyway, I have a feeling I may be doing another of these in the future, so what do you think?

Oh, and it's five layers of WASC, iced in buttercream, with fondant details.

This is also posted in my photos.
LL

18 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 19

Awesome! Hard to tell the size exactly and how many it would feed... but I would charge $200 at least

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 19

I have to agree with KoryAK. I'd get at least $200.00 for it.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 19

I agree, $200 minimum.

artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 19

that is just amazing. around these parts I would guess upwards of $200.00+

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 19

Ditto to the others..........$200.00 MINIMUM but I would personally put a 250.00 price on it.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 19

kinda off topic, but is there a tutuorial on how to make that cake.

PS - It looks awesome!!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 19

Wow! Best one I've seen yet!!
I agree as well, 200$

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 19

Yep, definately charge a lot and a tutorial would be fantastic, pretty please?

lilmansmum Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks for the compliments everyone! icon_smile.gif

Wow! $200? Really? I don't know if I'd have the guts to quote someone a price like that. It seems to me that people look at me like I'm nuts when I charge $45 for one of my bigger birthday cakes, kinda like the Lilo
and Stitch one in my pics.....(Here's the link to that.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=756623

They just don't realize the hours of work it takes to make something like that.

If I do the gumball machine again, I'll take pics as I go and post a tutorial. Should I do the tutorial anyway, even without pics to illustrate? I did take a few pics the first time, but not pictures of every step.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 19

I know what you mean about people looking at you crazy about a price. I just told a couple 50 Euro for a small wedding cake (9in & 6in) and they told me they thought it was kinda expensive. I just said, ok, let me know what you decide, because in my opinion it was SUPER cheap! Anyway, they didn't hesitate and agreed.....I think most people are just trying to the get the best price possible, but you have to keep in mind

"How much is YOUR time worth?"

Not to mention supplies, etc. That cake is amazing!! And $200 is a DEF. minimun!!! Good luck in the future!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 19

That is one of the best gumball machine cake I have ever seen. Upwards of $200.00, maybe $250.00. Your work is wonderful.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 19

oh yes, a tutorial without pics is great too!! then if you do another one, you can update us.

Thanks so much for sharing..

lilmansmum Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:47am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

That is one of the best gumball machine cake I have ever seen. Upwards of $200.00, maybe $250.00. Your work is wonderful.

Oh, thank you, superstar! icon_redface.gif

Ok, I think I may try posting a tutorial on this as soon as I get the chance! Thanks again for the encouraging words! icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:53am
post #15 of 19

lilmansmum, I love this cake! I have it in my favorites because I would love to try something like this sometime. I know it's a lot of work, but I would really love a tutorial on this cake! I'd be very, very grateful!!!

By the way, could you tell me how you cut this and how many did it serve?

Thanks,
Kathi

lilmansmum Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 19

This cake was five layers. I baked four 8 inch layers and one 6 inch for the very top. Then I carved it into the shape I wanted. It was about a foot tall. To cut it, I took the globe off the top, then cut it once down the middle (in half). Then I laid half of it on a cookie sheet and cut smaller servings from it. It had about 25 servings, I'd guess...maybe more...I'm kinda generous with my serving size. Here's a picture of what it looked like after I cut it.
LL

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks so much for your instructions! Your cake is awesome! I feel the same as you, btw, if I told someone $200 for this cake , I think they would laugh at me, but then, I'm pretty much a dumb cake pricer! I just did a 3-D tractor on top of a field that would feed 35 people, and I sold it for $35. I know, not real smart, hun??

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 19

Beautiful cake, it looks so real!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #19 of 19

You did a wonderful job on your cake!! It's so lifelike!!! Yes, definitely at least $200!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%