Sugarshack Buttercream Question...

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 12:38am by sugarshack

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I noticed that sugarshack uses Sweetex in her buttercream recipe. Can regular vegitable shortening be used instead of the Sweetex?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Wanda

9 replies
grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 10

Hello Wanda, hope this helps.

(Quote From mobebosu) Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 am

sorry, this may be ignorant, but can Crisco be used? (unquote)

Sugarshack Reply:
(Quote From Sugarshack) Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm

mobebosu.. sure you can use crisco ... i dont like its performance or mouth feel personally, after using hi ratio, but it will work . (unquote)

Here is the link to the thread about her recipe & tips, also where these guotes came from.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19948&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
If you haven't read and you get some time...give it a shot, it has lots of info & tips.

Hope this helps you. I use Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening, I can't get the Sweetex.
God Bless,
Sharon

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 10

I use high ratio shortning too. I get mine form Sisco Foods, I will never use regular agian after trying high ratio, it mixes so much more fluffy and light, not nearly as greasy.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 10

I just got sugarshacks dvd on buttercream icing. It is very informative, she shows her recipie in action. My buttercream will never be the same icon_biggrin.gif

Here a link

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #5 of 10

Yes! You can most definitely use regular shortening. You can use a combo of shortening and butter if you like as well.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you!

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you to all for the advise. I will give it a try and I really like using butter in my buttercream, so now that I know that it can be incorporated as well...I'm gonna give it a go.

Thanks again!

Wanda

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLlama

I just got sugarshacks dvd on buttercream icing. It is very informative, she shows her recipie in action. My buttercream will never be the same icon_biggrin.gif

Here a link

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

WOW-I didn't realize Sharon had produced a DVD-WAY TO GO!! Her cakes are amazing and look so incredible, you'd swear every one was right out of a magazine. Terrific information to know.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 10

I just ordered the video and it was shipped the same day...I'm so excited ! Thanks, Sugarshack for offering this tutorial.

I LOVE the visual learning instead of just reading how it's done; I learn best this way and the info stays with me.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 10

crazy4sugar, you are going to love this dvd.

It is outstanding! The way and things that Sharon shows you when it comes to doing cakes with bc icing....is mind blowing, and the best thing you don't have to buy a lot of costly things to get the crisp, sharp, neat, corners and edges for your cakes.

You will love the step by steps she does, no shortcuts....a very well made dvd. There is a thread going from others who had got the dvd and what they are saying about it....heres the link if you would like to read it.

God Bless,
Sharon
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561142.html

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:38am
post #10 of 10

Wanda did you try the butter in the recipe yet? How did that go? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%