Child Halloween Birthday?

Decorating By mtdk454 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm by mtdk454

mtdk454 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtdk454 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 29

My daughter having a halloween birthday theme again this year and I don't know what to make for a cake. We have done the pumpkin, the candy apple and the witch. I am looking for something simple, of course halloween themed, but girly at the same time. she will be only 5 and I prefer nothing gross, just something cute. Any ideas?

28 replies
elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 29

i just recently did a spider cake (pix in my gallery). i copied the fondant spider from summerolivia. the spider is cute and child-like. i told my husband it would be cute as a birthday cake if you put a festive birthday party hat on the spider. just a thought.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 29

What about a not-so-haunted house? You can use all sorts of candies to decorate - like a gingerbread house! Maybe the kids can get into the act too.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 29

there's a really cute and fairly simple looking bride of frankenstein cake in one of the wilton year books. i'm going to try it for my aunt's birthday on friday. -i just looked it up, it's the 2002 year book. cute, not scary or gorey, girly.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 29

How about a candy corn or a scarecrow?

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 29

There's a girl frankenstein on the popular photos added today, it's really cute, it might even be the one that imagine76 is talking about

Jibbies

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 29

you can make a mummy face cake.... if you have the wilton sports ball pan , a metal bowl to bake in or even carve the edges of a round cake to make it more of a sphere, its pretty simple. frost in buttercream, use fondant to make a couple of yellow eyeballs with black pupils , and then wrap white strips of fondant randomly around the face. i think there is a tutorial here. you can also attach a little black fondant spider to one side of the head.

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 29

What about a ghost cake. Should be fairly simply to carve and decorate. Would take minimal amount of colors. It's my bday too and I still go crazy for my birthday. It's my favorite time of the year. Happy birthday to your little one!

melysa Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 29

here's the mummy head i made last year.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=85203

i also like the idea of a ghost cake. drape fondant over the carved cake (so its standing upright), use black fondant for the eyes and mouth...you could even add a girly touch with a little pink bow. icon_smile.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 29

What about individual ghosts made from cupcakes. I did mini ones last year . All I did was put a big ball of icing ontop with a 12 tip then draped fondant over and added eyes they turned out cute. I'll put the pic in my photos.

mtdk454 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 29

Wow! You girls are fast and creative!! Thanks so much, love all of the ideas, Especially adding a little pink bow! (adds the touch of girl) Love it! I think I might try the ghost! How the heck would you carve it to stand up without loosing most of the cake?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 29

Here's one I did last year for a little boy turning 5. The mom didn't want anything scary but did want a Halloween theme.

Deanna
LL

melysa Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 29

you could stack several layers depending on the serving amounts you need, but as an example: 6,7,8,9 inch rounds, then just carve the very edges off to make the shape you want. ice and drape the fondant. dont forget to separate every 4" of cake with cardboard rounds and dowels just as if you were doing a tiered cake. also run a long dowel through the whole thing before you frost and fondant the cake. glad you like the bow idea- please post the link to the cake on this thread when you're done. i love seeing the result of colaborated ideas ~

melysa Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 29

i forgot to say that if i was carving the ghost, i would dome the top and then just carve the rest kind of cone shaped, then when you drape the fondant, let it fall loosely so that there are natural pleats in the sides. smooth the top of the "head" only and let the rest pleat and trim the bottom. just make sure that at that point the cake is already on its plate and not to be moved, cause if you try to move it later, you'll pull up the fondant and it'll wrinkle and look shabby.

have fun...sounds so cute!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 29

I have a halloween cake in my pics, the ghost is carved out of cake and the hands are gumpaste stuck in with toothpicks. I just draped the fondant over and instant ghost. It was the first time carving a cake and it was real easy. It would be cute with a bow and maybe some eyelashes. I just stacked 4 peices of cake w/ bc and carved away. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 29

My daughter is fascinated with witches and last year she had a pink and purple witch party. We layed out pink tableclothes and covered them in spiderweb with spider rings in it. Black and pink plates. Pink, purple, black streamers and balloons. The cake was two layers (8 and 6 inch round). The bottom was black and purple striped and the top was pink covered in black spider web and a few spiders. It turned out really cute! Of course, her bday is in Dec so we had all this witch stuff set amongst our Christmas decorations..that was interesting icon_lol.gif

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 29

I just made a Halloween bd cake for a 4 yr. old yesterday. It was a ghost coming out of a smiley jack o lantern holding a birthday present. I made a party hat for the ghost, too.

esq1031 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 29
esq1031 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #22 of 29

OMG, I am so sorry about that duplicate post. Don't know if it's the computer of the construction on the site.

mtdk454 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #23 of 29

Thank you for all the info and the links!! We are going to do ghosts. I was thinking a smaller ghost cake for my daughter and the ghost cupcakes for the guests. So I should just stack cakes and carve like a cones shape then drape the fondant? Sounds simple enough!

esq1031 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:53pm
post #24 of 29

I found another link to an adorable ghost cake. Take a look at this. Just scroll down the page a little.
http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=5347

mtdk454 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ1031

I found another link to an adorable ghost cake. Take a look at this. Just scroll down the page a little.
/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=5347

I can't see it icon_cry.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

i forgot to say that if i was carving the ghost, i would dome the top and then just carve the rest kind of cone shaped, then when you drape the fondant, let it fall loosely so that there are natural pleats in the sides. smooth the top of the "head" only and let the rest pleat and trim the bottom. just make sure that at that point the cake is already on its plate and not to be moved, cause if you try to move it later, you'll pull up the fondant and it'll wrinkle and look shabby.

Could you use the sports ball pan for the rounded top 1/2 of it of course?

mtdk454 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #27 of 29

great idea. Love it. okay. going to go with the girly ghost and cupcakes. am going to stack a few with the sports ball (half!) on the top then lay the fondant over it. Sounds great. (oh frosting under fondant of course!) I am so excited and will def. post a finnished pic here! I think I will be making it sat.

melysa Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Could you use the sports ball pan for the rounded top 1/2 of it of course?

smart thinkin'!

mtdk454 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #29 of 29

So here it is. Keep in mind that I am a total beginner.( so don't laugh!) I think it turned out great. JMO I used the pamper chef batter bowl, and half the sports ball round on top of that. My fondant could use some work but all in all it turned out good. My daughter Loved it!! I guess that's all that matters. I didn't have enough time or enough fondant to do the cupcakes so I cheated! We just frosted them and put peep ghost on top. None the less cute! Pic is in my photos. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%