So, My Oven's A Piece Of Junk

Decorating By imagine76 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 3:30am by imagine76

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 3

we re-modeled our tiny kitchen about 6 years ago. new everything including a little more counter space, storage and one maytag gemini double oven. one of the burners quit working within a year (had it replaced) the ovens run VERY hot. i can't bake cakes in the smaller top one at all and the bottom one's just about as bad. as you know, this makes for crispy outsides and raw insides of cakes. i had the repair guy from the appliance store out early this summer and he "fixed" it and it was better for a while but not any more. i guess i will be using my mom's oven in 2 weeks to bake a wedding cake for 200.

so, i guess what i want to know is, for those of you that love your oven, what do you have? i can't afford a new one yet but a girl can dream right?

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 3

When you say your guy was out and fixed it, but now its doing the same thing, If it hasn't been that long, get him out there again.

We remodled about 5 years ago, I looked at the gemini and i didn't care for how far down the larger oven sat. I think i would have liked the oven if the set up had been small on the bottom, big on the top.

What i bought was a GE profile.

Is your oven Convection? If it is remember they run as if they are 25 to 50 degrees hotter then a conventional oven. So turn the temp down. If its convection you want to also place your fan on low if your able. My oven has a bake/roast setting, the roast is the higher fan setting.

I know the oven you bought wasn't cheap and i would continue to contact the repair people, if your local repair person cant fix it, contact magtag and get someone else to do it.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #3 of 3

i do kind of have to stand on my head to get things out. i've also put baby gates up to keep the little ones out when i'm baking. the doors are just the right height for little hands.

why can't i have martha stewart's kitchen!

so, i'm having the repair guy out again to re-calibrate the oven (it's not convection). he said the last time he was here the cost of the parts to replace the broken stuff (my words not his) would be around $200. maybe because the darn thing's digital.

bottom line is i really need a VERY reliable, good oven.

anyone have a brand suggestion since i'm certainly not in martha's tax bracket?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%