Cake Collapse & Customer Bummed

Decorating By Bourgonsgirl Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 4:05am by Bourgonsgirl

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl5crew

I saved your cakes to my favorites. I would love instruction on how you did this along with permission to try one like it.

Me too!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm
post #32 of 40

Your cake is gorgeous!! I agree that the wilton large wide plastic dowels are the way to go.My feeling is the cake was just too heavy therefore the bottom tier couldn't support the top two.In hindsight I probably would have delivered the cake with the top tier off and assembled it there at the party.Again someone mentioned "How do you know what the driver drives like"...Good Question...You'll never know!!! I also think a mousse filling may have helped in the dimise.I just don't trust their stability.Lots of lessons learned !! The hard way!!!Chin up!!!

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:17pm
post #33 of 40

If you use the Wilton plastic dowels, do you request those back with the rest of your equipment? They seem costly, but not all cakes are going to need the same height dowels... at least mine never do?

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

I wish there were an easy and perfect way to cut the Wilton plastic dowels because they are my favorite

Melvira, I use my dremmel on dowels all the time. Cuts exact and even every time and in less than a sec.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakemanOH

Quote:
Quote:

I wish there were an easy and perfect way to cut the Wilton plastic dowels because they are my favorite

Melvira, I use my dremmel on dowels all the time. Cuts exact and even every time and in less than a sec.

I also use a pvc pipe cutter...I think 8 bucks at Lowes icon_biggrin.gif

Christi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

My feeling is the cake was just too heavy therefore the bottom tier couldn't support the top two.

The "cake" has nothing to do with it. It's the doweling system. Upper tiers are supported by the doweling system, or the SPS system, not the cake.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:51am
post #37 of 40

The mousse filling has been mentioned as maybe being part of the problem, but I disagree, I use mousse fillings all the time with no problem. It's just like indydebi said, it's the doweling system. Any time a tiered cake goes farther than the end of my driveway it's dowelled; but I don't go overboard, for 16 and 18 inch tiers I use 5 dowels, and any smaller 4.

Jibbies

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #38 of 40

I have only made 2 cakes stacked or tiered. I put dowels down all three layers of both cakes. I think both cakes had respberry filling in them and they didn't move. Good Luck. The cake is absolutely fantastic. I'm sorry this happened.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

PVC pipe! I wonder if its cheaper than wooden dowel rods? The next time I go to Lowes I'm going to check it out. There are different sizes too!

I think everyone was talking about using a PVC pipe cutter not the actual PVC pipe. I believe that there is a toxic chemical in PVC pipes and I would not use them inside of a cake.

Bourgonsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bourgonsgirl Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #40 of 40

Thanks everyone, I got some really good advice and I am sure that this will never happen to me again, if I can help it!! Thanks to you all! And for the cake, I just iced the 3 tiers in 3 different colours, and then using BC and a #10 tip, I made the big bubbles, 3 rows and then some to come down the side a bit. then I moved to a #6 tip, and then a #3 tip!! Thats it! It didnt take too long, and it was pretty fun!! By the time I was done the first tier of bubbles, I could go back and push down the peaks so they look nice and round!! Easy peasy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%