Garden Burgers

Lounge By Missyleigh Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:29am by kellertur

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 10

Does any body buy these? I found some at a discount grocery on my area and they are missong the nutrition info. Are they good and do htey have a lot of carbs/calories pear serving?

9 replies
Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 10

I used to buy these. I liked them just fine, but my husband prefers Morningstar veggie burgers. He's not a vegetarian- and if I'm remembering correctly, Gardenburger's burgers tasted more like old skool icon_smile.gif veggie burgers.

I wonder why the nutritional content isn't on the box? I do have a package of Morningstar Grillers in my freezer. They have 130 calories per serving, 6 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein, and 5 grams of carbohydrates. I would guess the Gardenburgers have similar content, though I think the Gardenburgers have more vegetables and (I think) they have oats in them. They probably have less soy, so they probably have less protein. Hmmm. I'm really not much help at all!

Missyleigh Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 10

oh that is a lot of help . They are only 1.00 so I guess I won't loose a lot if I don't like them. They are in the freezer section of a salvage grocery im my area . They are in the origional plastic sleeve but the outer package has been damaged so they took it off. I guess I will give them a shot. Thanks>

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #4 of 10

yes, the gardenburgers are usually vegetable based and the morningstar brand is usually soy based. I used to eat the regular flavor gardenburgers all the time and they are pretty tasty and healthy for you. I'd still be eating them if I didn't start making veggie burgers from scratch...

I bet you could look up the nutritional info online somewhere though.

Courtney

Missyleigh Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:53am
post #5 of 10

oh wow you make them from scratch!! Would you care to share your recipie!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #6 of 10

I have been eating them for a number of years, but only the ones marked "vegan".

We also make our own veggie burgers (mostly) because store-bought are SO expensive and the recipes are so versitile.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 10

I'm very curious as to how you guys make your own veggie burgers. icon_smile.gif

I LOVE the Morningstar Prime Grillers. They taste different from the regular grillers - so good.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 10

Sure, I don't mind sharing how I make my veggie burgers. I developed this recipe after tasting the yummiest veggie burgers at this malt shop I used to go to. They are pretty easy to make actually...I don't even really follow a specific recipe.

You can use any veggies that you like but here's what I usually put in:
1 onion
few cloves garlic
1-2 carrots
1-2 stalks celery
1 green pepper (all veggies chopped in a fine dice)
--sometimes I'll put in chopped spinach, corn, peas, broccoli....anything!

First saute the veggies till soft. I add in some hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, S & P. Lots of cumin!! that's what gives them the nice flavor. My fave hot sauce is Sriracha.

then, put the veggies aside and mash up two cans of chick peas and two cans of kidney beans. If it looks like I have too much veggies than I'll throw in another can of beans. After they are mashed up I add about half of a beaten egg, mix that in. Then I add in about 1/2-1 C of grated cheddar, add in the sauted veggies. Then I add in about 20 crackers that have been mashed. I'll keep adding crackers until they are not too sticky, although they will be pretty soft. For dry ingredients you can also add wheat germ, wheat flour, ground oats...etc. I also add more cumin, salt and pepper after I have all the ingredients mixed together.

Then I make the patties, put them on a lined sheet pan and freeze them. They keep for months. Just saute the frozen patties in olive oil till done. These veggie burgers are a lot softer than garden burgers, which they press to get the water out. They are really yummy! I've made this recipe at least 15 times or more. Oh, I melt cheese on them when I make them too. icon_biggrin.gif

Courtney

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 10

That sounds really good! Thanks for sharing that Courtney! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #10 of 10

sorry it took so long for me leave this recipe:

Here is one of my favorites, as Vegan Chik'n patties / nuggets are EXPENSIVE....

Un-Chicken Filet (or nuggets)
1 lb firm tofu, drained & crumbled
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flour (any)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (found at health food store- has cheesy flavor)
1/2 tsp garlic powder/salt
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper
1+ Tbsp veg oil

Mix ingredients, except oil. Use hands to mix and form into 4 - 6 burgers. (optional: dredge in extra flour if want them crispy) Oil pan and brown each side w/bay leaf under each patty (med/high heat)
** ALSO: if making nuggets, just make smaller patties.

This recipe can be adapted by changing spices. Sometimes I use sage or fresh basil leaves instead of poultry seasoning.... the possibilities are endless.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%