Please Tell Me What I Did Wrong...rough Time With This Cake!

Decorating By lara3teach Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 10:47am by lara3teach

lara3teach Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for the future on what I did wrong, or what I can do different the next time I work with cream cheese icing.

My sister's baby shower cake (Baby Snoopy in my photos) was carrot cake with cream cheese icing...I had the worst time working with the icing. It's the crusting cc recipe from here, and although it crusted okay, I had a hard time getting it to smooth and pipe neatly. Did I have the wrong consisitency (it was pretty stiff) or is it harder to work with than BC, or is it just me and I need to practice with it more? icon_redface.gif

Then, when it came time to separate the tiers, the entire layer of icing stuck to the cake board. icon_surprised.gif This hasn't happened to me before. I put powdered sugar down before, what happened? I let the cake sit out about a 1/2hour before serving it...should I have not done that?

Everyone raved about the taste of both the cake and the at least there was some good within this problem cake icon_smile.gif but I'd really like to know what to do different next time I need cream cheese icing.

Thanks in advance for your help! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
Mac Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 5

As far as the frosting-not sure, I think it's just the type of frosting. I make mine stiff but still can't get it smooth.

About the sticking, try using grated white or dark chocolate between the layers. Also, crumbled cake will also work. Hope that helps--Pam

adven68 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

I don't stack bc I don't know what works to keep them from sticking....maybe a piece of parchment cut to the size of the top tier???

As far as getting smooth "trick" is using a paddle attachment on the lowest speed....and after I have added about half the p.s., I pour a few tablespoons of heavy gets super smooth and easy to handle. Then I slowly add p.s. till it's the right consistency. You don't want it to look or feel dry....then it will be too hard to handle.

ceshell Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 5

Another stacking trick: the last cake I stacked, I made sure that the dowels were above the height of the lower tier's frosting. Then I did a center dowel through both layers to make sure the top tier didn't slide around (since it didn't have the bottom tier's BC to glue it into place). Used a border to disguise the gap. Mind you, we're not talking a major gap! Jut enough to clear the frosting.

Must admit though, I really like the idea of using grated chocolate!

Have no clue about the cream cheese icing so no help there!

lara3teach Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for replying! I appreciate the advice. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%