Fondant Decorations

Decorating By lyse Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm by lyse

lyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyse Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:05am
post #1 of 5

I am going to be doing a cake with fondant little figures and attatching them to wire so they are coming out of the cake. Last itme I attempted this the wire sunk and tipped over. What did I do wrong? What kind of wire can I use? I got some from my local cake supply and they happend to be out the next time I went in, so I went to the craft store and bought fabric coverd wire which seemed to be what I bought from the cake supply. Does this sound right? And what can I do to keep my figures from falling?

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:18am
post #2 of 5

If you insert a straw into the cake, then the wire into the straw, it will help them stand up.

If the wire is too soft, you can get a heavier gauge wire in straight lengths with the floral supply stuff in a craft store.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 11:16am
post #3 of 5

Just adding something to JoAnn's comment...remember the lower the gauge the stronger (less flimsy) the wire icon_biggrin.gif....I didn't know this LOL got home and a little bitty royal icing star weighed my wire down lol.

HtH's

Have a wonderful day guys icon_smile.gif

Christi

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, Christi, I always forget that one (about the gauge numbers)!

lyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyse Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5

I don't know what I would do without the support of everyone on cake central. Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%