Fondant "edges"

Decorating By Dancingprincess64 Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm by DianeLM

Dancingprincess64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dancingprincess64 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:31am
post #1 of 11

I have been searching for over 45 minutes for a post that has the answer...no luck!

I am wondering how so many of you get the perfect 90 degree angle on your fondant covered cakes. My cakes always seem to have the soft rounded top edge. Do you have a suggestion for creating the sharp edges? I would love to hear them (or if you happen to know of another post that answers my question) so that I can get some practice!
Thanks so much!

10 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #2 of 11

hi,

I never get a totally sharp top edge; there is always a little roundness to it,( wish I knew how) but I find if I crumbcoat the cake, and flash freeze for 7-8 minutes, and roll the fondant just a tad less than 1/4 inch, I get my best results.

HTH

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:55am
post #3 of 11

Fondant is meant to have soft rounded edges. If you want sharp edges you need to use butter cream or royal icing. The only ay you can get sharp edges with fondant is to cut each side out individually and stick it on. However then you do get a join on each edge

Dancingprincess64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dancingprincess64 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 11:35am
post #4 of 11

Well, that makes me feel better! I guess I'll practice my buttercream technique instead of fondant! Thanks for the help!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 11

There are specialty edgers like this one

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19558

that will help to sharpen fondant edges. I have this one and, while it won't give an exact 90 angle, it does give a crisp finish to fondant edges.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

There are specialty edgers like this one

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19558

For $17? I was curious, too, about those nice, sharp edges, so I had to see this tool, but couldn't you just cut out the bottom of a clean milk carton and attach some type of handle to it?

I have also read to use a very dense cake and a very thin crumbcoat so the edges are more resistant to the weight of fondant and the BC doesn't, well, bunch-up (for lack of a better term - I'm brain-dead this morning) icon_razz.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 11

Actually you can just use two flat smoothers and hold them firmly together at a 90 degree angle - it is just a PITA because it takes both hands and you have to reposition so often to get all the way around that you lose some of the continuity of the edge (or I do - clumsy oaf that I am LOL). The little edger tool can be used with a Viva paper towel on crusted BC as Gingerella posted earlier:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-301633-.html

Other hard, smooth plastic items might work - just be sure the edges are smooth or they might dig into the fondant. I do like the little edger, though

thumbs_up.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 11

Maybe you could find one of these at the hardware store that would work in the same way... I haven't looked but I bet if it's made to make drywall smooth it would work for cake!

http://www.absolutehome.com/home/1/291475240-marshalltown-trowel-outside-corner-trowel-os751.html

edited to add: now that I look at it, it appears to be riveted together and might have a rough edge inside from the rivets, but maybe another similar hardware store tool would work?

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingprincess64

Well, that makes me feel better! I guess I'll practice my buttercream technique instead of fondant! Thanks for the help!

It's so funny - SO many of us spend SO MUCH effort to get our BC finish to look like fondant, now here you are trying to get your fondant to look like it's BC!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just pointing out the irony!!

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 11

Wanted to be sure I understood??? I have been looking for the answer in all the posts for quite a while... When using fondant, you only crumb coat the cake before using the fondant?? Layer with BC then thin crumb coat with BC and get nice and cold than put on the fondant?? I have to do this in the morning??? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 11

Jealena, you don't want a full coat of bc under the fondant. It will be squishy under the fondant and you'll never get it smooth. Plus, there's the risk of the bc leaking out due to the weight of the fondant. Put on a generous crumb coat. I know that sounds contradictory, but you want enough bc to give flavor, but not so much that your fondant is compromised. You should still be able to see the cake through the crumb coat. Place the cake in the freezer for a few minutes, then cover with fondant. And yes, bc filling between the layers, if you wish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%