Never Again

Decorating By krysoco Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 6:30am by mommachris

krysoco Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 10

Never again will I let someone else bring my cake to an event. I will forever do it myself.
I made a cake yesterday for my SIL's baby shower that was today. My SIL said she was going to the house that the shower would be at so she could bring my cake. I said okay but be sure to support the cake w/2 hands so that it wouldn't crack. (I put 2 support boards underneath just in case anyway.) Well SIL comes to pick it up and doesn't say a word. Upon asking her if she liked it (she picked it out), she replied that I should've put the baby's name on it instead of "Welcome Baby". I copied off of the cake picture she sent me. I replied that she may not have a girl and in the end that she may not name it Jenna. So I felt safer w/putting Baby. She very rudely replied that everything had Jenna written on it. I think if it meant that much to her that she should have requested that. I ignore her and told her the only thing I changed was the color of the wheels (on the baby carriage). She replied "Oh is that where you got the blue color from?" I said no, the picture you sent me was pink & blue. She turns to look at her sister as if she doesn't believe me. Her sister agreed that it was blue and pink. I seconded guess putting the blue on the cake in the first place b/c SIL told me that she wanted everything pink. I didn't want to deviate too much from the picture. She left w/o saying much more. I just gave her a $60 cake for free and she was rude to me!
I get to the shower today. There were 3 huge cracks in the middle of the cake and the border was smashed in one spot. I could have died. Well her MIL comes over to say that I did a good job on the cake. I said well it was perfect when it left my house. She said "yeah I had to move it. I was hoping those cracks were there before me but I guess not." Then she smiled and walked off. I could have ripped her head off. I already don't care for her. That MIL is snooty and stuck up. I think at the least she could have apologized. I would have wanted someone to call me and ask me to fix it before the shower started.
I've learned a good lesson today. icon_sad.gif

9 replies
AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 10

I had a similar experience - only no rude-ness involved. I made a cake for my friend's surprise 50th. Several of us gals met a "famous Italian restaurant". The waitresses took the cakes back (one for us, a gravestone for her) and when they brought out the cake to sing to her and serve it, it had shifted something HORRIBLE!!!! It had raspberry filling, but NEVER have I had a cake shift like that before. I felt horrible, even tho my friends knew it wasn't my fault.
BTW - there's something about SILs.......hahaha

cathyscakes Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 10

So sorry this happened to you, people just don't realize how much we put into our cakes, especially one that we do for free. I have learned this lesson many times. Most of the time people are so appreciative, but there are the few that I remember that ruin my day.

feverfixer Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 10

Oh dear I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I sometimes wonder why we do this.
I delivered two cakes today for a friend of a friend (you know how that goes). One was a poker cake and the other a pink 'showgirl' cake. I was delivering on my way to work this morning because she couldn't get to pick it up yesterday. I was being nice in delivering to save her a long drive.
When I got there her husband immediately starts complaining how they tried to get a hold of me last night to pick them up and then tried to e-mail me. Last night, after I had confirmed I would deliver them in the morning, I went out to dinner and the e-mail fell into my junkmail pile. I'm sorry I have a life other than her cakes but she was getting about $300 worth of cake for $100!
Some people...
Live and learn, and don't give freebies!
Diane

Melvira Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 10

Krysoco, I feel your pain through and through... my SIL is a devious witch from heck... and NO those are not the real words I'd like to use if you catch my drift!!

At least you know you did something wonderful for her, even if she chooses not to acknowledge it. And MIL screwing it up and then wishing it were your fault... classless. Totally classless. thumbsdown.gif That is a real peek into her pysche if you ask me.

So, keep that chin up, and know that we appreciate you!! thumbs_up.gif

nickymom Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 10

So she didn't ask you to put the baby's name on?

If not then she has no right to be mad!! If she wnated the baby's nae then she should have told you.

Changing the color of the wheel doesn't seem like a big deal to me but if she didn't ask you to chnage then probably should not have or you could have called & asked her if it was ok first.

She should be thankful that you did the cake for free!

That is just terrible about the cracks!! They should have called you & told you so that you could have come early to fix the problem.

krysoco Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:12am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymom

So she didn't ask you to put the baby's name on?

If not then she has no right to be mad!! If she wnated the baby's nae then she should have told you.

Changing the color of the wheel doesn't seem like a big deal to me but if she didn't ask you to chnage then probably should not have or you could have called & asked her if it was ok first.

She should be thankful that you did the cake for free!

That is just terrible about the cracks!! They should have called you & told you so that you could have come early to fix the problem.

This is the same person that told me "Do whatever you want" for the cake. Ha! I just knew better. She had not requested Jenna Marie to be on the cake. I conferred w/her sister prior to changing the color of the wheels just to be on the safe side.

At least I know that I'm not alone. I'm glad to hear the stories yall can share w/me. It makes me feel better.

ETA The fact that the MIL tried to blame me really ticks me off. Like I would have brought the cake like that. I called my other SIL who was there when the cake was dropped off, she said it wasn't cracked when they left it.

mommachris Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #8 of 10

isn't in this forum that I read those famous lines..
"I'm sorry you don't like the cake I made for you, would you like a refund. Oh, wait...YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR IT!"

sometimes family just doesn't get the big picture....this is a gift, don't complain!
As for your MIL, you have my sympathy.

mommachris

amberhoney Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:32am
post #9 of 10

[quote
"I'm sorry you don't like the cake I made for you, would you like a refund. Oh, wait...YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR IT!" [/quote]

Hilarious - I will have to try and remember that one!!! But really... people who are so hung up on trivial things like colours and what was supposed to be written on the cake, when they are getting it for free, seriously need to get a life! Like Meliva said - 'it's a real peek into their psyche'

mommachris Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:30am
post #10 of 10

I can't take credit for the line, but it sure sums up what needs to be said sometimes.

Can't people just accept gifts with thankfulness any more?
Where did all this 'entitlement' come from anyway? icon_confused.gif

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%