Strawberry Shortcake Birthday!

Decorating By DonnaS Updated 15 Feb 2005 , 9:27pm by diane

DonnaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DonnaS Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 1:35am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,
Awesome forum!
My daughter just dropped a bomb! She wants a Strawberry Shortcake Birthday cake. Normally I purchase her cakes, but my cake lady doesn't do character cakes anymore (too busy with weddings). Anyway, my cake lady convinced me that I could do it myself, & I am willing to try! I am currently taking a Wilton Course I. My dilemma is that I need a cake that will feed 35-50 people (big family!). I was thinking of making a large sheet cake, & on top of the sheet cake, I would put the strawberry shortcake cake, that I have cut down, sort of like what you do when you tort a cake, but I would only use the top half, so that it wouldn't be really tall. Is this a dumb idea? Anyone else try this before? If so, any tips for me?
Thanks icon_confused.gif

5 replies
sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 2:51am
post #2 of 6

I think that is a fine idea. Whatever is comfortable for you. Be as creative as you like and go for it!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Feb 2005 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 6

Another idea...you could do a character Strawberry Shortcake for the kids and then a real strawberry shortcake for the adults! icon_biggrin.gif

DonnaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DonnaS Posted 15 Feb 2005 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

Ooooooh! Good Idea!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Feb 2005 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Donna, I did what your planning on doing. But I did not tort my cake, because the pan was so small that I had no choice but to put it on another cake. Just be sure you use wooden dowels if needed, so that the cake wont weigh down the other. Look in my photos and the spiderman cake I made is a cake on cake.. P.S. my kiddos made me and my hubby a strawberry shortcake for Valentines Day.. They used strawberry preserves along with the sweet strawberries. It was amazing!! they heated up the preserves and put a thin layer on the sponge cake then added the sweet strawberries it really added some sweetness.. Just a thought! icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 15 Feb 2005 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 6

i did the strawberry shortcake character pan twice and i can say that is the prettiest cake i've ever done using a character pan. i had so many compliments on it. the only problem was, it was too small. next time i am also going to place it on a sheet cake, which i think is a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%