Yikes! Caked Needs To Be Done In 1.5 Hours! Help :)

Decorating By luvalot Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 2:29am by leah_s

luvalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvalot Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to do a cake that requires a lot of bright red. I have used pretty close to the enhtire bottle of wilton red no tase and it still looks pink! Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Thank you!

7 replies
messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 8

I heard you can use some kind of red soda, iss it coolaid?, somebody in the US will hopefully read this and tell you which one. If this is fondant I guess you'll have to add powdered sugar to stop it getting sticky.

To be honest I would go and get more red colour, I'd also try another brand since the wilton one is obviously not working. Failing that go and buy some pre-made red fondant.

Sorry I cant be of more help!

padawn71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
padawn71 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 8

If you had any chocolate icing that is usually the best way to get red....wilton red is very hard to achieve....

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 8

Mix red/red and a little dot of black

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 8

Try adding just a touch of black to the icing. Usually it will turn red after a few minutes.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

add a tiny touch of rose (bright pink). it usually makes the red more intense. i do it all of the time!

good luck!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 8

How much BC are you coloring?? You should always color the night before.. let it sit so it can darken as it sits. If you are coloring a lot.. it might take 2-3 jars.. I colored soem BC for the fire truck cake I made.. it took 2 bottles of Americolor Super Red.. and it wasn't a TON of BC.. maybe 8 cups? You may just need to get some more red.. also adding yellow might help.. but not too much or you'll get a coral color. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #8 of 8

A lot of food colors don't achieve their full color potential for 2 hours. Soooo, mix in color, wait two hours and check. Then mix in some more and wait two hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%