Best Bc To Use Under Mmf

Decorating By DCHall Updated 19 Dec 2006 , 9:16pm by Parable

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am completely new to cake decorating. I want to make a birthday cake for my daughter's 1st bday. What is the best bc recipe to use as a crumb coat? I attempted to cover a practice cake in rolled buttercream with an apricot glaze as a crumb coat. It was a disater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:33am
post #2 of 6

I always use SMBC (swiss meringue buttercream) because it does not harden. If you use a crusting/hardening bc, it can be bumpy underneath and can tear the fondant. There are SMBC recipes on the CC website. I use egg whites in the carton (they're pasteurized and you can't contaminate them with yolk).

ALSO, if you want a nice smooth edge using SMBC, put the cake in the freezer for 10 min after you've masked it, and use a bench scraper to smooth the top and sides of the cake!

Hope this helps!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:00am
post #3 of 6

WOW!!! That's great to know!!! Thank you both for asking the question and answering it.

Amy

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks. That is some good advice. Would IMBC also work because it does not harden?

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

I don't use IMBC, but I'm sure it would work as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHall

I am completely new to cake decorating. I want to make a birthday cake for my daughter's 1st bday. What is the best bc recipe to use as a crumb coat? I attempted to cover a practice cake in rolled buttercream with an apricot glaze as a crumb coat. It was a disater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm thinking the glaze might have caused the problem. If you want glaze, just put it between the layers, not on the outside where it might cause everything else to slide off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%