Customer Complaint....sorta. (Long & Funny)

Business By whimsette Updated 22 Dec 2006 , 11:36pm by keriskreations

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 63

I've been dealing with this for the last week and wanted to share the outcome. File this under your "It Takes All Kinds" log, kids.

On Wednesday, I received this email:

Quote:
Quote:

I am the mother of the bride for a recent wedding for which you provided the cake. I wanted to let you know that I and some others became ill after having your cake! Please contact me asap so that we can resolve this problem. (xxx) xxx-xxxxx. -Mary (not her real name)

So, absolutely horrified, I immediately give the number a call and it goes to an answering machine with a computerized greeting. I leave a polite message asking Mary to call me at my business number and left my hours of operation. Wednesday and Thursday come and go with no return call. I emailed Mary back on Friday morning with this response:

Quote:
Quote:

Dear Mary,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns that you (and your guests) may have become ill from consumption of my product. I take great pride in my work and do everything I can to provide a quality and safe cake for my clients.

I returned your call at (xxx) xxx-xxxxx on Wednesday at 1:30 pm and have not heard from you to discuss how this situation can be resolved. Please contact me at blah blah blah between the hours of blah blah blah...

Meanwhile, I'm racking my brain, trying to figure out whose cake this can be and why am I just *now* being told about it? (I take Nov & Dec off every year and my last cake delivery was the last weekend in October.) [Warning sign #1]

About an hour later, Mary replies:

Quote:
Quote:

Truthfully I don't know how this can be resolved. I've been talking to my daughter and my SIL's father (a LAWYER) and we're weighting our options. At the minimum we need to get our money back. We will be calling the health department because this should never happen! I would like a full refund for the cake and delivery fee. I can pick it up IN CASH [warning sign #2] this weekend. Let me know when you're available.

At this point, I'm scared to death! Not only am I horrified to think I may have made someone ill but that the health department will become involved. But... I'm suddenly a little skeptical. My response:

Quote:
Quote:

Dear Mary, I would be delighted to refund all fees directly to the person(s) who signed the contract. If the bride and/or groom were the signors, they'll need to be present to receive a cash refund.

Please advise the wedding date and the names of the bride and groom so that I may pull the contract. This will also assist me in researching what the problem may have been with the cake.

I will be available on Saturday from xx - xx at the kitchen. Please call before (time) to let me know when you'd like to stop by.

Mary replies:

Quote:
Quote:

The bride and groom are Jane Smith and John Jones (not their real names, silly) and their date was Saturday, November 11[ding! ding! ding! NOT MY CAKE!] . Location: blah blah blah. I will talk to my daughter about when we can pick up the cash and get back to you.

My reply:

Quote:
Quote:

Dear Mary, I'm a bit confused here. I have no contract for either Jane Smith or John Doe for the date of November 11th of this year. In fact, my business is closed from November 01 - January 02 every year while I take my yearly sabbatical. I'm sorry we hadn't determined this sooner, but I am not the cake person for this event. Sincerely yours...

Mary's reply 10 minutes later:

Quote:
Quote:

NO, you were the baker for this event! My daughter insists she hired you and the cake is from you. We will be at your house [I don't work out of my house!] at 11:00 a.m on Saturday to pick up the FULL refund.Your cake made people sick. You should be ashamed and put in jail for lying about it!!

Well, I know I am not the vendor here and this wasn't my cake. I'm still freaked out -- what if she calls the health department? what's happening to my reputation?!? (these people are saying it's my cake!) is this a scam or a misunderstanding? -- but I don't respond and will just pop over to the kitchen at 11:00 and see what happens. Before I go, I look through my database and find that I did have a consultation with Jane and John in March of this year but no booking.

I arrive at the kitchen at 10:00 am and was there until 1 pm. Mary and Jane never showed up. I called a few times but the calls went directly to voicemail.

This morning, I had an email from Mary.

Quote:
Quote:

Dear Whimsette, Please accept my apologies for putting you through undue stress and worry. As you had suspected you were not the baker of Jane & John's cake though Jane has insisted you were. Jane and John admitted they took the money we offered them to pay for your cake and purchased from a lesser expensive baker without telling us. Little devils!!! What's a mom to do?

As a peace offering Jane, John, and our families have made a donation to (local food bank) in your name. The receipt is coming to your fax number. Merry Christmas, Mary.

The fax did arrive and they made a $700 donation to the food bank in my name.

Let this be a lesson to you all: keep meticulous records, get all the details when dealing with a possible bad situation, and don't work in November and December! icon_wink.gif

62 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 63

Wow icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif What a story!. I wonder how many people she told this to before they fessed up about buying a cheaper cake somewhere else.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 63

Oh my goodness

I'm going to print this off and frame it. NEVER do a cake without a signed contract again!

I'm so glad this worked out for you.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 63

WOW! I thought she was a scam artist at first. But you know that was just wonderful that she had the decency to apologize and the donation on your name was a wonderful apology gift as well.

I would definitly strangle my daughter if she put me through that though!

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 63

Wow good job on keeping those records! What a crazy story!!!

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 63

You have to applaude the lady for admitting she made a mistake and sending an apology - not too many people would have even gone that far. Then, to top it off she donated $700 to the local food bank in your name - she sounds like a stand-up person to me.

Shame on the daughter for putting her mother in that position!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 63

Well worth a bit of stress that the local food bank reaped a 700.00 donation...and...in your name!

AWESOME OUTCOME!

I was truly on the edge of my chair...fingernails between teeth!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 63

UN- *%*#*%@ -Belivable!!!!!!!

Business or not, donation or not, I would make sure she had a little bit of a dressing down by me! If she were to call me a liar, she should have at least let me pick the charity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awful, simply awful behavior! I would send her an Email back and tell her you do not accept her apology!

Honestly, there is no excuse for bad manners.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 63

What a wonderful and generous way to say I'm sorry! Frankly I'd have loved to have received the cash of that appology lmao but that's just me lol. Glad everything turned out alright for you and glad you are now stress and worry free icon_smile.gif

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 63

I'm gonna bet she made her little liar of a daughter give her back every penny they had given her to get YOUR cake and then donated that to charity!! Wow, you are LUCKY!! I would have had a heart attack!! Thanks for sharing this, it is definitely a lesson learned. Good for you for being so organized!!

tiptop57 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 63

OMG - think about this, there is probably 300 people at the wedding who think you made that cake!!!!!!!The MOB was probably out there telling everyone and probably bad mouthing you to everyone about your Emails!!!!! OMG she could cause a lot of issues with your reputation!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 63

I have to say...she made a good apology...

However, the part that gets me is "What's a mother to do?"

What's a mother to do?!?! Not raise such a spoiled and deceitful daughter!
I would refuse further "donations" to my daughter if that was how she treated me. That is the truly "Shameful" thing in this situation!

I am so happy for you that this turned out well!

Julia

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 63

Good story. Good point. (bad kids, lol)

I'm glad it had a great outcome!

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 63

"Little devils"?? I could think of a few other choice words that would be more appropriate!

"What's a mom to do"?? I can think of a few choice ideas! The first one being making her contact you and apologize for the stress and worry she put you through, instead of making mom do all the work!

So glad it turned out ok in the end for you- kudos for you on your record keeping! thumbs_up.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 63

lol, it would've been more thoughtful and generous if the cash apology would've gone into your pocket..lol

and think if this would've gone to court...the egg on her face.

You would've had a basis for a case of defamation and slander and I'm sure it would've cost them more than 700 dollars!

but, on a happier note..and I'm sure that I'm going to get reamed on this one...

I would graciously send her a small coupon for a 'tasting' cake...maybe a little serve 2/4 cake? with a note , thanking her for the vote of confidence and that YES, we cannot control what our kids do, but that since she gave them the money for your cake, you'd like for her to have at least a helping.

That my dear is public relations and will get you sooo much business..Believe me!!

simple "thank you for your donation" as decoration on the cake, and you're good to go!

Because you are a lic. baker with impecable records this woman was in sooooo much potential hot water!!!

and NEVER be afraid of the Health Department! IF you do everything you're supposed to do....you will allways be ok. ( but remember, it's their job to nit pick..lol)

Good luck!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 63

I suppose a full page ad in your local paper stating that you did not provide the cake for that wedding would have been too much to ask? LOL, wow, crazy story. Glad it all turned out ok for you.

tiptop57 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 63

RisqueBusiness, gracious as ever and always building business! I gotta get a thick skin like you!

But on this one, I would be madder then a wet hen and would make sure her guests knew that I did not create that cake everyone got ill on!

That is the most scary, the damage those people could do to a business!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 63

That's just amazing! I'm glad it all worked out for you. My goodness all that stress and it had absolutely nothing to do with you.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:12pm
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

UN- *%*#*%@ -Belivable!!!!!!!

Business or not, donation or not, I would make sure she had a little bit of a dressing down by me! If she were to call me a liar, she should have at least let me pick the charity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awful, simply awful behavior! I would send her an Email back and tell her you do not accept her apology!

Honestly, there is no excuse for bad manners.

Glad I'm not the only one with this reaction.

The thing about her behavior that really gets me is laughing off what her offspring did like she's still 2. If they're old enough to get married they're old enough to be sent over to personally appologize and should never have done this in the first place.

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 63
Quote:

RisqueBusiness, gracious as ever and always building business! I gotta get a thick skin like you!

But on this one, I would be madder then a wet hen and would make sure her guests knew that I did not create that cake everyone got ill on!

That is the most scary, the damage those people could do to a business!

RBA did a cost analysis on customer complaint eons ago....and it found out that just 1 complaint from 1 disgruntled customer could potentially cost a business 10,000.00 dollars in damages!

can you believe that? That's unreal!! I don't even make that in a year..lol

Can you imagine the PR that you'd have to do to recover that? Honey, I don't have a thick skin...since I work for myself...there is no one around to hear my angry tirades!

And I do lose my cool...especially with stupid people...lol--but I give everyone one chance to rile me up...the second one..I pull out my machete!! icon_lol.gif

hahaha!!!

( I'm only nice one time, if I have a client that is just a plain ole whinny complaining witch, then forget it...the claws come out. but I try to keep it business...I give them their money or give them the product no charge..but I bar them ...NO CAKE FOR YOU! lol

I should put that on a t-shirt...as a matter of fact I think I will..hahah! icon_rolleyes.gif )

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:31pm
post #21 of 63

It's very stand up that she did let you know it was her daughter's mistake not yours. And the sizeable donation was well intended too. But I wuld be concerned with who told who "your" cake made them sick. And I would also be asking her to make sure everyone was notified it was not your cake and an apology in the paper clearing the whole situation up isn't too far fetched. You could potentially loose future business with these false accusations slithering around a weddding party and said guests who got sick.
But I am tickled that you were cleared. thumbs_up.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:33pm
post #22 of 63

what a can of worms this is going to open for the baker that DID make the cake..lol

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:36pm
post #23 of 63

I'm not the shinnest pearl on the cake, but how can a wedding group get sick from a cake?

I get sick from cake, but it's because I ate until I made myself sick.

whimsette Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:40pm
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I'm not the shinnest pearl on the cake, but how can a wedding group get sick from a cake?

Food poisoning, my dear. Spoilage of cake, filling, icing or contaminated ingredients.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:42pm
post #25 of 63

Who is to say that they didn't get sick from the rest of the food at the reception?

I recently was asked to do a cake and the next day the customer called and told me that it was a big hit. Out of politeness, I asked how the party was and she said it was bad because they took my cake into the restaurant with them, and the restaurant wouldn't let them have it there. They were told that they don't allow outside food in, because if someone gets sick, they can't be sure if they got sick from the cake or from the restaurant's food.

That said, maybe she should be "threatening" the dinner caterers! icon_rolleyes.gif

whimsette Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:44pm
post #26 of 63
Quote:

OMG - think about this, there is probably 300 people at the wedding who think you made that cake!!!!!!!The MOB was probably out there telling everyone and probably bad mouthing you to everyone about your Emails!!!!! OMG she could cause a lot of issues with your reputation!

This is a very real concern for me right now and I'm not sure what I can/should do about it yet.

The donation was a nice peace offering BUT how does that preserve my good reputation which is PRICELESS.

I'm starting to get a little peeved at "oops, my bad" tone of her apology. The 'Sorry I threatened you with legal action, suggested jail time, and financial ruin ... here's lollipop to make it all better' apology is really lame. On the other hand, it's over. I got an apology and the some local hungry people will be fed this season.

A couple of things that bug me are: why did she wait over a month to make a complaint and (as someone else suggested) how did she know it was the cake?

Thanks for your support and comments, everyone! I appreciate them tremendously.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 63

I was reading the replies on this when I remembered a PTA "ISSUE" we had last year. A child's family threatened to sue based ont he fact that the child supposedly caught salmonella at our spring fest. We had food from a restaurant that was donated (gloved volunteers serving) and then a bake sale (items were sold as donated, but we did not sell cookies individualy that were brought on a plate, you got the whole plate). and bouncy things (inflateables castles and such).

I was a little freaked becuase I donated 3 cakes, 4 boxes of cake truffles, and a doz cookies. So I did some research. What I found was that it was unlikely that salmonella was present in my baked goods because I used no custards and such. Of course there are other ways, but it is rare for a food borne illness to be in a "BAKED" good that is propoerly handled. And of course as we all know the "handling" is the kicker.

I also found this informative article. I know this is a bit off topic, but it is definately informative.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/community/food/fbi.htm

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:55pm
post #28 of 63

Whimsette, I would reply to her email with a thank you, and politely ask her how she is going to handle the reputation thing... I mean they have to send out thank you cards to all the guests anyway, what harm would it be in sending a note that says I'm sorry for the confussion at the wedding reception about whom poisioned us but it wasn't Whimsette's Cakes as we thought at the time, We lied to my mother about whom we purchased the cake from with her money and _______ is the company/person whom made the cake. Or ask for an advertisement in the newspaper. At which time she could name the said bakery which did make them sick and clear your name at the same time. If in fact it wasn't the cake at all (did she ever say what KIND of cake was bought?) she needs to take it up with the food service they contracted at which time take out an ad in the paper or send a very long chain email to everyone that attended the reception and got ill as well as you for proof it's been done, stating that it wasn't your company and so on.

I would also ask her to stop by for a tasting or a freebie cake as a thank you for her efforts in REestablishing your good name with her reception guests (possible future customers) and possibly give her a 2-4 person cake for her to share with her husband and bratty daughter and son in law. lol icon_smile.gif Good luck getting your good name re-instated icon_smile.gif

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:56pm
post #29 of 63

Wow oh wow I would be super relieved and then super POed. As you said your reputation is PRICELESS and this could do some serious damage. So far the emails have been short and to the point - a thank you for the donation in your name along with a request that the other guests are informed that it was not your cake - it is the LEAST the MOB or the Bride can do - sheesh what a tangled web.
Rebecca

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 6:57pm
post #30 of 63

ABSURD! Can't you take legal action against the family because of your harmed reputation?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%