Dowels Or Straws For Wedding Cake Support, What Do U Do?

Decorating By jjbrink Updated 5 Nov 2007 , 3:57am by leah_s

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:04am
post #1 of 34

do most of you use straws or wooden dowel rods for your stacked wedding cakes?? icon_rolleyes.gif just wondering

33 replies
elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:13am
post #2 of 34

depends on the weight and what i have at any given moment. for 3-4 tier cakes i use wooden dowels. for 2 tiers i use straws. i would like to get one of those support systems. does anyone have any particular type they like?

jjbrink Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:36am
post #3 of 34

i know in another post someone was telling me to use the SPS, single support system. let me look and i will post the link. i could never get the picture of it too pull up to look at.

jjbrink Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:45am
post #4 of 34

sorry, sps= single plate system

Quote:
Quote:

Or use SPS. Available retail from www.oasissupply.com or wholesale from www.bakerycrafts.com. Very easy, very stable, cheap. I've converted a few new users lately and the feedback has been great. "

I forgot to add...

You need the Bakery Craft plates and 4" columns listed on page 5 from this link:

http://www.oasisupply.com/Prod.....egoryID=65

Trust me, it's worth the $10-$15 to do it right the first time! Even if you decide to stack the cakes at the reception place, you will love this set up.[

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:54am
post #5 of 34

Since I've discovered "BOBA STRAWS", I've been using them....... they are 1/2" wide, and VERY sturdy... ( and cheap!) you can buy them from the company, or I get mine on e-bay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Bag-Fat-Jumbo-Bubble-Boba-Pearl-Tea-Straws-Straw_W0QQitemZ4397073439QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38180QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 34

I don't do actual wedding cakes but I use the same straws as grama_j for all my tiered cakes. I get mine at the oriental grocery store for 79 cents a pack of 50.

grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 34

Oh, WOW!, Pam..... I wish I had one of those store near me !!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 34

Whenever I take my kids for a slushie I always eye up those BIG straws with the scoop on the end. One day I'll take a handful and give them a try. Instead of dowels, I use cookie sticks.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 34

I think I'm leading the SPS chorus. It is fabulous. Cheap, sturdy, easy. I delivered a three tier fondant cake today fully assembled.

Really, throw your dowels and straws away.

whitgent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitgent Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 34

i use the wilton hidden pillars and plastic separator plates, so sturdy...and reusable, you can have your bride do a deposit for them and then when she returns them, refund it, the feet of the separator plates fit perfect in the hidden pillars, you cut them for stacked cakes

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 34

I tried to check out the price of the SPS and couldn't see them without logging in.

I have the Stress Free Support system and love them. With the plates being rings makes you can add the center dowel if you want and it doesn't displace icing like a solid plate does. JMO

leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 34

You can get great pricing for SPS at www.oasissupply.com. If you were looking on the bakerycrafts site, that's wholesale only and you have to have an account with them.

The last time I figured it up for someone, the SPS for a 5 tier cake was $15. I charge a $20 "equipment fee" and that's makes the system disposable.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 34

Regular old drinking straws up to 4 tiers here.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You can get great pricing for SPS at www.oasissupply.com. If you were looking on the bakerycrafts site, that's wholesale only and you have to have an account with them.

Where at oasissupply do you find the SPS system? I can't find it under any category, I probably looked right over it, but I can't find it.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #15 of 34

Your Special Day >> Wedding >> Plates/Pilars/Dividers and it's somewhere in that section.

grama_j Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #16 of 34

I can't find it either, leily....

leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:05am
post #17 of 34

Sgilmer's got it. I remember that some of the parts were on page 5 of that section. For stacked cakes you need the 4" columns, GC-4S, then whatever sizes and shapes of plates. All Bakerycrafts products will begin their item number with "BC".

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmer

Your Special Day >> Wedding >> Plates/Pilars/Dividers and it's somewhere in that section.

Thanks! I was making it to weddings, but I wasn't looking through the drop down menu after that, I just figured it would be on the pages... thanks again!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:27am
post #19 of 34

I use the stress free supports for wedding cakes, But I use the bubble teas straws in party cakes ( and big ones too) and they work great; very sturdy and so easy to cut even..

HTH thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:48am
post #20 of 34

Im getting ready to use my SPS Or is it SFS lol I don't know...I ordered it ...I have the plates, the grecian columns and that was it...The legs fit snuggly into the plates and there is a little nub that punctures your cake board. Mine didn't have rings... But I can't wait till I get to use it...
I will however ask for the system back...and if they don't return it I will bill them 30.00 for it......covers shipping and MY time to order plus the system itself.

Oh yeah forgot to add...I did order the taller columns because most of my cakes are over 4 inches without the filling...sooo...I'll use my pvc cutter to cut the system down a little.

Christi

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:38am
post #21 of 34

Christi,
You have SPS. (Plastic)

SFS costs a fortune. (Metal)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:53am
post #22 of 34

Maybe I need to invest in the SFS...

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #23 of 34

Why?

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:20pm
post #24 of 34

I use the fat straws from McDonald's or Whataburger. Of course, that means I must order a milkshake each time I need some straws so I can justify picking up extra straws. I'll have to check out the straws at the local Chinese grocery store. Thanks for the tip!

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #25 of 34

I went to www.oasisupply.com and went to the proper area to locate the SPS. But I can not find it. Is it called something else?????? I am making a 4 tiered wedding cake for my sister. It will be as follows: 15" square, 13"circle, 10"square, and 6" circle. Will the SPS work for this? If not what can I use????

THANKS

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #26 of 34

I do use the sps most times for separated tiers.

For stacked cakes, if the tiers are small, I'll use wooden dowels. If the tiers are large, I'll use the plastic dowels. Then, drive a sharpened dowel through all tiers into the base board.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrink

do most of you use straws or wooden dowel rods for your stacked wedding cakes?? icon_rolleyes.gif just wondering

Big fat bubble tea straws. I love them because they are so sturdy and easy to cut and no worry of splinters getting in the cake. I know splinters getting in the cake is extremely rare but why take the chance if you do not have to.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #28 of 34

arahsa
The SPS is right where you're looking. It's Bakery Crafts plate"

And you don't need to limit yourself to only using SPS for separated cakes. I learned to use it for stacked cakes and love, love, love it. Just order the GC-4s (oasis BC GC-4s) for the 4" columns.

leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 34

arahsa

I don't see the Bakery Crafts square plares on the Oasis site. grrr. Perhaps you might call them and see if they're in stock and just not on the website. The square plates are a relatively new item for Bakery Crafts.

13" round plate = BC SPS13, $3.25
6"round plate = BC SPS6, $1.25

columns BC GC4S, bag of 12, $3.60

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #30 of 34

I am with Leah SPS all the way. Unlike Leah I do cut the legs to the height I need, I found a small chop saw that I keep in my kitchen. I build in the cost into the price of the cake, most of my clients are from out of town and I do not want them or me to have to deal with the hassel of returning items.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%