Can You Refridgerate Fondant?

Decorating By NicoleRad Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 5:26am by NicoleRad

NicoleRad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleRad Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I know it seems like a dumb question but this is my second time doing a cake with fondant. I just want to keep it cool until tomorrow afternoon, any suggestions or tips?

5 replies
elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:10am
post #2 of 6

well, i've read that you can and can't refridge fondant. so years ago, i tried myself. i did a wedding cake - 3 tiers - covered in fondant and put in fridge overnight. after i took the cake out to decorate, it started getting shiny and gummy after the condensation took over. peeled everything off and started over.

so, i haven't tried it since. others might know a trick or two.

MRRRAR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRRRAR Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:12am
post #3 of 6

I just leave my fondant covered cakes on the counter, covered with a box. If you refrigerate most likely condensation will form on the fondant when you take it out and that might ruin the smooth look of the fondant. Have a good night!

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:24am
post #4 of 6

So then you are limited to the filling if you can not put it in the refridgerator right?

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:42am
post #5 of 6

I always refridgerate my fondant cakes and have never had a problem. That might be because I live in Arizona so I never have the condensation issue. I have two in the 'fridge right now for delivery tomorrow. I just did a trial with airbrushing too as I was afraid the colors would run if left in there overnight, but still no problems. I think humidity is what ruins cakes...thankfully we don't have that problem here too often here!
Diane

NicoleRad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleRad Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:26am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have decided not to put it in the fridge as I am too paranoid. I will post pictures later for anyone interested, thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%