Gotta Love Sam's Club

Decorating By mommarivera Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 11:06am by tana

mommarivera Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:55am
post #1 of 39

I just went and picked up the 28 pound bucket of Buttercream frosting from Sams Club!! How easy is that!! I LOVE Sams

38 replies
leaisagary Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #2 of 39

and it tastes great thats exactly how i feel about it!!!

ljhow623 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 39

I wish I could! My Sam's doesn't carry buttercream or any other bakery supplies. You guys are lucky!

cambo Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 39

Ooooh I'm so glad I saw this post! I went to Sam's to get their BC because I heard they sold it in huge buckets. Well, I got to try the chocolate....VERY good....but I didn't get to try their regular BC until I got it home. I think it tastes horrible....just like grocery store cake icing....very chemically. Is there another kind ya'll are getting? I heard they have a Cream Cheese BC that's pretty good, but I'm not sure if it crusts over. Anyone know?

cherylgeorge Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 39

I thought about running to Sams myself to pick some up...if the bc doesnt' taste so good, any thoughts on what to add to make it taste better ! thx

cariage Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 39

I have tasted the sams buttercream and I think it tastes just like wiltons buttercream in a can. I don't think it's horrible, but it isn't my favorite. Is anyone adding flavoring to their sams bc?

Amy729 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 39

I am not crazy about the flavor either. I am spoiled to the fresh taste of homemade.

mommarivera Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 39

What homemade recipe do you use?? The one I have I really like but because it uses only butter no shortening it gets really hard in the fridge.

Tiffysma Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 39

A fellow decorator told me she mixes 1/2 Sams and 1/2 her own buttercream. I tried that and like it! I added a bit more flavoring to the whole mixture. Turned out very good!

cherylgeorge Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 39

thanks for the different tips/ideas !!!

Cakerer Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 39

I only use buttercream dream with butter-nut-vanilla flavoring. I would love the ease of buying buttercream but haven't found the right one yet. Would the sams buttercream be good to mix with chocolate or strawberry preserves, etc for fillings?

cambo Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 39
Originally Posted by Cakerer

I only use buttercream dream with butter-nut-vanilla flavoring. I would love the ease of buying buttercream but haven't found the right one yet. Would the sams buttercream be good to mix with chocolate or strawberry preserves, etc for fillings?

Yep....I'm trying to find a great tasting premade buttercream also! Would love to find one that tastes great! When I took the lid off the Sam's bucket it smelled like Satin Ice fondant....not SO bad, but definitely grocery store quality (IMHO).

Let me know if you find another brand! I've heard that Brill and Dawn are pretty good, but haven't tried either!

Cynita Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 39

What is the consistency like? Is it just good for icing or is it also thick enough for decorations?

lchristi27 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 39

I have read that many people on here buy Sams and 'doctor' it up with all kinds of flavorings. I bet it would be delicous.

Since I'm a cosco member I went and asked if I could buy their big buckets of frosting they have, they said no. I got in an argument with the manager saying that I heard you could. He still wouldn't let me buy one. Told him that sams sells their frostings. He still wouldn't let me buy it!

So should I get the sams membership? How much is a bucket of the regular buttercream?

Also, do you have to keep it in the fridge?

wendydou Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm
post #15 of 39

do they sell it off the shelf or do you have to talk to the bakery to get the frosting???

Tiffysma Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #16 of 39

28 lb.s of buttercream at my Sam's was $26.99. I don't think that is bad. I think it is a bit soft. I do like the texture and it does crust, but for making flowers, etc, I think you need to add a bit of powdered sugar. Of course, they make all their decorations from it. My Sam's even gave me 3 empty smaller buckets that they had used so I could divide mine up and put it in the freezer. The manager of the bakery said to just add a bit of water if it is too stiff after I have frozen it.

cariage Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 39

wendydou at my sams they keep them on the shelf. but I have heard others say that you need to call them in advance so that they can order it.

mommarivera Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 39

I called the bakery first just to see if our sams here sold it and the lady said just come to the bakery and ask for it. I have two cakes to do for tomorrow and my sons b day cake next week and I am really busy with work , my sons football and baseball and just didnt have the time to make all of the frosting so I thought I would give it a try.

Cakerer Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:11am
post #19 of 39

I went to my local Sams today and wouldn't you know it, it was a canteen in the corner, not a bakery. So, I'm out of luck for a couple of weeks - I'll go to a larger city to begin my Christmas shopping and I know they have a bakery!

maw29649 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #20 of 39

Bought mine last week.....I really don't care for the stuff by itself....So I mixed a2 pound batch of mine and mixed in about a pound of Sam's this turned out really good....I will do it this way till I use up all the Sam's brand.....Then go back to making just my own....
Shelly in SC

cambo Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #21 of 39

Mine was also $26.99....and I got it in the bakery, not on the shelf. She said they usually have tons of buckets at any given time, they must be a very busy bakery. The chocolate BC was a dollar more. It was VERY thick (great to pipe with), but it literally wouldn't spread on the cake....had to add lots of liquid to it to just spread it on. My MIL bought it from me today so she could keep it at church to do projects with the children for upcoming holidays! I have head that they also sell a cream cheese buttercream and the next time I'm there I'm going to see if I can sample it!

cariage Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #22 of 39

I just went and bought a bucket today. Its not quite stiff enough for roses, but I think with a little sugar it will be fine. I also hope adding some flavoring will help with the flavor especially since it's so economical.

nanny4 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:20am
post #23 of 39

I really like the taste of CK Buttercream ready made frosting. I t really helps me out if I get in a time crunch. I've ordered from the Country Kitchen Sweet Art online store. thumbs_up.gif

idoweddingcookies Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:35am
post #24 of 39
Originally Posted by nanny4

I really like the taste of CK Buttercream ready made frosting. I t really helps me out if I get in a time crunch. I've ordered from the Country Kitchen Sweet Art online store. thumbs_up.gif

I must have gotten a bad batch then. I bought CK from the local shop here and it was horrible. I threw it in the garbage. I thought I wouldn't eat that so no way am I giving that to a client.

Costco icing - I asked there as well, and was told they make their own, that's why they don't sell it.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:39am
post #25 of 39

sams also sells there whipped frosting and 8lb buckets of colored frosting

Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:00am
post #26 of 39

I hate to say it, Cambo, but maybe you got a bad batch. Sadly, not all bakeries are the same. I know I worked with a couple of people at Sam's that really couldn't care less if the lids were on tight, or stuff was rotated properly, etc.

I'm sorry you didn't find one you liked. When I worked there we made the icing ourselves, and put it in buckets to use for the following days. The bakery was always busy, so it never lasted more than a day or two. We made about 5 to 7 buckets at a time. At that time, we weren't allowed to sell it to customers. We could only sell the big 50 pound blocks, which were not mixed. Basically it was shortening, sugar and flavoring squeezed into a block, and we added water and mixed it in a giant floor mixer for about 15 minutes or so. I actually enjoyed doing that part.. heh

I have no idea why it tasted like chemicals, unless they're doing something different for the premade buckets you can buy now. When I did my wedding cake I bought their icing to save myself some time, and it was wonderful. It didn't taste like store brand icing at all, and no chemical taste, thankfully. I've also made roses with it. That really depended on who made it the day before, and if they put too much water. (as I said, not everyone cared about their job)

I have heard mention of people buying it and adding their own flavorings, and liking it a lot more.

I can't speak for all Sam's clubs, but we always kept plastic spoons behind the counter, so we could let people taste the icing. A lot of people didn't know the different between whipped and buttercream, so we would let them taste it and make their choice. So be sure and ask, before you buy, if you can taste it or have a sample. I hate that you spent so much money on something only to have it not be to your satisfaction.

I never had a problem with the chocolate icing either. It was always very easy to spread. Now, a few times I had a hard time making roses with it, but not often. It seemed a bit too soft for me. I made some beautiful fall themed cakes with it, though. icon_smile.gif

If anyone has an issue with their icing, or bakery, I would suggest talking to a manager, or even just sending an email. They take customer satisfaction very seriously there. At least, the one I worked in did. I do know I don't care for the one down here where I live now. I don't do many cakes now, so I just make my own icing. One large batch lasts me for quite a while. icon_smile.gif

I hope this post isn't coming across as mean, or me trying to be a know it all, or anything like that. I'm not. What I'm really trying to say is if you aren't happy with it, you should definitely complain. It might be that someone did something wrong, and they should be made aware of the issue, so other people don't have bad experiences too. It really is very convenient to get their icing when you're in a pinch.

Take care,

MelissaRHK Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:03am
post #27 of 39

I've always used H&H or Dawn icing. loved Dawn, but even from the wholesale distributer, it was much more than H&H

So and back in the summer found out that about Sam's -- not only can you get the white and chocolate, but you can get all the colors in the smaller buckets..

Now the bonus -- The icing Sam's sell is DAWN icing - if you look closely at the lable it has But-R-Cream -- That's Dawn's trademark for thier icing

Sam's/Walmart do this quite a bit -- cut a deal with a manufacture and then relable under thier name

so I was quite happy about this infomation -- the price at Sam's is 1/2 of what I pay from the wholesale supply...

cambo Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:16pm
post #28 of 39

Thanks Hollyanna70....good info to know! The buttercream I bought was VERY well sealed (I couldn't even open the thing, my hubby had to) and it has an expiration date for WAY out. Oh, it wasn't the chocolate that was too thick, it was the regular buttercream...I LOVE the chocolate....light n' fluffy! So, I may stop back by there today to see what "other" kinds of buttercream they sell! I like the idea of a whipped buttercream! Sounds yummy and I'm also curious about the cream cheese buttercream! I didn't lose any money as my MIL bought it from me to use at I came out of it ok! I wonder if we're all discussing the same buttercream and if they vary from Sam's to Sam's....the kind I bought is definitely like the icing you get on grocery store cakes like at WalMart and Kroger...just really nasty! Hopefully I can find something I like there...would love to be able to buy it from them!

Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm
post #29 of 39

So sorry, I completely misunderstood and thought you were saying the chocolate was too stiff. I'm glad your money wasn't wasted on the other though. You'd be surprised how many people like the taste of store icing. I never cared for it myself, and I usually found the cakes to be very dry. I'm not saying all stores are like that, just the one where I lived.

Actually, what we called whipped icing is not a buttercream. It's more of a whipped cream. When we made it, it came in a giant carton like milk does. Already flavored. It had to stay cold, of course, since it was technically heavy cream. It came in frozen, and we kept it frozen, until the day before we needed it. We would thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, then whipped it in the mixer. So, much like any whipped icing, if you overwhip it, it just doesn't work. It was very tempermental.

I'm almost positive I have seen recipes for such icings on here, but I honestly have no clue what was in the mix we used. It has to stay refrigerated, though. It can sit at room temperature for a couple hours tops, and that's only if it's not too hot. It's ok in an air conditioned room, or around 72 degrees. It can be colored, the same as buttercream can, with the gels. However, the colors will not be as dark, and they will start to bleed after a couple of days. We never kept any of our cakes more than 3 days. Thrown away on the third day, actually.

It always made me sick to have to throw all those cakes away. We weren't allowed to even take them to soup kitchens or anything. It was that way with all bakery items, breads, cookies, cakes, etc.

I have absolutely no clue on the cream cheese. They didn't offer that at all when I worked there. If you try some, please let me know how it is. For some reason, my cream cheese icing always turns out too thin. If I add more sugar, it's too sweet. I can't find a happy medium. It would be great if I could just buy some that already tastes fabulous. icon_wink.gif I usually prefer making my own, but as I said, it comes in handy in a pinch, and always helpful if it tastes as good as homemade. Plus, even though I "prefer" to make it myself, that doesn't always mean I'm capable.. hehe

I hope you're able to find something good to work with, so you'll always have options when you're in a tight spot, or short on time. icon_smile.gif

Take care,

SugarBakerz Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #30 of 39

Ok chiming in on the cream cheese icing from sam's here.. bought it, love it, won't go back to my own... tooo easy. It was nearly $30 for a smaller bucket 18 lbs I think and it is fab... it smooths perfectly and tastes wonderfully I nearly made myself sick on it the night I did it. I put it on a 2 year olds birthday cake and her parents and guests raved about this cake! So.... needless to say with the holidays coming up and all of the red velvets and carrots on my lists I won't be making my own CC, I think it actually economically pays for itself and then some since the ingredients for CC icing are a little more costly... you figure it out this way it costs roughly $1.67 per pound to buy it from Sam's premade no mixing or mess.... my kind of deal.

I also love the chocolate, the premade colors.... the buttercream I can't decide on yet. I am with Cambo, I "sampled" in the store and what they served me is not what they sold me.... when I got home my container was so sealed I had to BREAK into it and it WAS very chemically tasting, but customers like store bought tastes, so I used it all on my full sheets and then just as small flower work to get rid of it... it was convenient, but I don't know just yet..... great thread though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%