How Did You Get Started W/ Cake Decorating?

Decorating By natalie102503 Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 7:54am by Iloveweddings

natalie102503 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natalie102503 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #1 of 7

I've always been interested in cake decorating but never really thought about doing it myself. I realized that I need a hobby, so I figured what better way to express my artistic abilities than by cake decorating. icon_smile.gif Actually, I wanted to make cute cupcakes and now I've kind of moved on to big cakes.

I am absolutely clueless and am just curious how the rest of you got started. Did you attend cake decorating classes? I went to sign up for some classes at Michaels, but they're booked until December. So, I want to learn as much as I can on my own before taking the classes (maybe I won't even need them at all).

Sorry if this question is asked a lot - I'm a newbie!

6 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

My baker father owned a bakery and when I was a newly divorced, single mom, he gave me a job in his bakery. I was a counter clerk, dishwasher, donut finisher and he said, "I'm going to teach you how to decorate cakes..." I said, "but I don't want to decorate cakes".....here I am 33 years later and my 87 yr old Father is extremely proud. Out of 5 kids, I am the only one that went into the business. He was visiting me for a few weeks and I took him on my deliveries and he was really happy.

natalie102503 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natalie102503 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:51am
post #3 of 7

Oh wow, that was a great story!

Now I totally feel unworthy of cake decorating! icon_smile.gif

EmmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyD Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:24am
post #4 of 7

I have always like baking and doing stuff for family. This past January I decided I needed something to do with my time besides work and needed to get out of the house and meet some new people so I signed up for classes at Michaels. Here I am 10 months later spending all of my free time consumed with cakes or thoughts of cakes and I am loving every minute of it. My freshman year of college I even did a speach on how to make and decorate a cake from scratch for my public speaking class.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

i started when i did birthday cakes for my kids. i liked it and eventually went on to doing it for $$$. my business is growing slowly but at a speed i am comfortable. it is just fun!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:49am
post #6 of 7

I started out making my son his birthday cakes (don't remember doing is 1st birthday . . . but 2nd was a train . . . with engine, cars and caboose . . . after his favorite book at the time "the little engine that could") . . . and that carried on for several years, until he grew out of it (or so I thought). This year . . . after almost a twenty year lapse in making ANY cakes my DS and his fiance ask me to make their wedding cake icon_eek.gif I agreed icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif (still don't know what I was thinking icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif) . . . in any case long story even longer, I never had any lessons . . . I simply bought a few decorating tips and away I went. That's not to say I wouldn't recommend lessons (I simply couldn't afford the luxury) . . . my advice would be to follow your heart/passion . . . (you are more than worthy) . . . have fun along the way (my only regret is all those years I didn't continue with doing something I REALLLLY enjoyed icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif still not sure what happened there). I am so glad to have found this site and all the kindred spirits . . . and inspiration thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:54am
post #7 of 7

Hi everyone,

I had decided to make my own anniversary cake. No classes. Only a video. I found I really enjoyed it and then made my parents 50th anniversary cake. I had learned even more since my first cake so the anniversary cake was much easier to do. When it was easier it was more enjoyable. I'll continue to make cakes here and there. taking classes now.

CCi s awesome! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%