German Chocolate Pecan/icing Soupy!?!?

Decorating By missmersh Updated 5 Aug 2005 , 3:48pm by ntertayneme

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 8

Well, it is a "little thicker" but it runs down the side of the cake and I can't keep it iced. I have never made this type of cake before so I don't know what I should expect. I have to deliver this cake in a couple hours....please help!!!

What should I do???? I don't have the ingredients to start over and I can't leave the house!!!!

Thank you,
Leslie icon_cry.gif

7 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure what all the ingredients were in your icing .. besides, pecans/coconut, what else was added?

missmersh Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Cheryl,
Thanks for responding so quickly.
I used the recipe on here German Chocolate Cake II
It had 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk, 2 cups heavy whipping cream and that was supposed to thicken on a double boiler. Then after it thickened I was supposed to add the coconut/pecans.

Well, I was still trying to thicken it at 3:45 this morning and it never thickened, so I started over. Still not thick. Am I doing something wrong? I followed the recipe word for word.

Thank you!
Leslie

ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 8

Did you let it cool down some before putting it on your cakes? I'd think if it were still a bit too warm, it would want to all slide off and run to the bottom of the cake .. The only other thing I can think of would be to use just a little bit of cornstarch to try and thicken it.. by this, I mean back to the stove to cook it some more adding a bit of cornstarch as a thickening agent.. If you did try the cornstarch, I'd take some of the icing and mix it really well with the cornstarch in a cup or a small bowl first and then stir that into the icing .. I wouldn't just dump the cornstarch straigiht into the icing because you may be white powdery lumps ... I don't think if you use maybe just a teaspoon or 2 of the cornstarch that it would change or alter the taste of your icing too much ... not sure, but maybe that would work for you

missmersh Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you Cheryl!!!
The icing has been in the fridge for 4 hours and chilled. Now I have it in the freezer LOL I thought about adding the cornstarch last night while I was still cooking it, but thought I might mess it up. Do I need to cook it again in order to add the cornstarch?

I REALLY appreciate your help!!!

ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

I would think you'd need to cook it a bit to help it to thicken .. if it's still not thickened any after being in the fridge/freezer and it's cold, I'd try the cornstarch to see if that'd thicken it any .. taste it to make sure it doesn't alter the taste too much .. I sure hope it comes out o.k. for you!! let us know!

missmersh Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 8

WHEEWW!!!
After I posted to you I opened the freezer to check the icing. GUESS WHAT!?!?! IT is actually thick!!!! It's PERFECT!!! I think that recipe needs a little more in the description so this won't happen to someone else.
Oh, it tastes delicious and is just perfect!!!

Thanks again for your QUICK responses!!!
Have a great day! OH yeah, CONGRATULATIONS on the new Moderator job!! icon_biggrin.gif

Leslie

ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks and best of luck with your cake! Glad it all turned out well for you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%