Colored Sam's Bc To Make Chocolate Bc

Decorating By azsunn Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 4:50am by jen9936

azsunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azsunn Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:58am
post #1 of 8

I tried the Buttercream Dream recipe a few weeks ago, and was disappointed in the taste. For some reason my frostings always seem to taste like powdered sugar and grease. It was just to sweet. I think I may need to recognize making frosting just isn't my forte.

I don't want to purchase the big tub of Sam's icing, I thought i'd read that smaller tubs of the Sam's BC was available colored. Could I take the precolored icing and make that a chocolate BC? My son's bday is coming up soon and I thought this might be a solution to getting a decent tasting icing.

Do you think that would work? If not, what is your favorite chocolate BC recipe. I went thru the recipes here, but so many have high star ratings I don't know where to start.

Thank You!

7 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

I really like the Chocolate Syrup Frosting recipe that is here. Very good. It's even better if you use Hot Fudge Sauce instead of Chocolate Syrup.

I do believe that Sam's has chocolate buttercream as well, though. At least the one by me does. I have not ever used it though. You could add cocoa and/or melted chocolate to the regular buttercream.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

I agree with the chocolate syrup frosting on this site. I haven't tried it with hot fudge but it sounds delicious.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #4 of 8

You can try this one: Creamy Buttercream Frosting here on CC.

Its not too sweet. It does have dairy, however. I've added 1-2 Tablespoons meringue powder to get it to crust (soft crust). I've also added some flavored creamers to add a flavor to compliment the cake. But not always! Its really good and I've taste tested on those people who don't like a sweet frosting.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

azsunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azsunn Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all. I will look up the recipe recommendations thumbs_up.gif

I appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #6 of 8

I adapted my regular buttercream to make chocolate. It crusts really well and tastes very delicious!! You can see it on the chocolate wedding cake in my photos. It actually was quite a bit darker in person than shows up in the photos

Chocolate Buttercream

1/2 c shortening (NOT the new Crisco!)
1/2 c butter or margarine
1/3 c powdered non dairy coffee creamer
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
2 lbs pwd sugar

Cream margarine and shortening. Add creamer and cocoa and mix well. Add salt to the water so that it can dissolve (I do this before I begin). Add water, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix for about 5 minutes or so til nice and creamy.
Hope this helps!!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:47am
post #7 of 8

Wow jen9936, your basketweave chocolate w.cake just looks perfect! Thanks for your recipe! I saved it! birthday.gif

ya know, really.... should have some sort of icon that represents "slurping" as "I just slurped up your chocolate BC recipe"

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:50am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much! I hope the frosting works well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%