Disaster Cake!!!!!

Decorating By simplysweetbygigi Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 1:42am by VannaD

simplysweetbygigi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

OK, I FINALLY HAD ONE. I HAD A 3 TIER CAKE IN THE BACK OF MY VAN TRAVELING ONLY 30 MINUTES WHEN IT HAPPENED PLOP!!!!! I MADE A 6, 8, 10 IN 3 TIER CAKE COVERED IN FONDANT WITH 12 COOKIES WITH EDIBLE PICTURES ALL AROUND THE CAKE. ON TOP WERE COOKIES SPELLING OUT C H R I S AND THE #1. I HAVE 4 SUPPORT RODS IN EACH TIER AND 1 SUPPORT ROD GOING THROUGH ALL 3 TIERS. I DO THIS WITH ALL MY CAKE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL TODAY! WHILE DRIVING I HEARD A THUMP AND PULLED OVER TO FIND ONLY 2 COOKIES HAD FALLEN OFF. NOT TOO BAD BECAUSE I HAD RI TO FIX IT WHEN I GOT TO MY DESTINATION. STARTING DRIVING AGAIN AND A FEW MINUTES LATER I HEARD ANOTHER THUMP, I THOUGHT OK ANOTHER 2 COOKIES BUT THIS TIME I WAS ABLE TO SMELL THE CAKE, ( IT SMELLED REALLY GOOD TOO) AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS WEIRD WHY CAN I SMELL THE CAKE NOW 20 MINUTES INTO THE RIDE. I TURNED ON THE STREET WHERE I HAD TO DELIVER IT AND OPENED THE BACK WITH RI IN HAND TO FIX THE FALLEN COOKIES AND I STOOD THERE WITH MY MOUTH OPEN THE WHOLE CAKE WAS ON ITS SIDE. I CLOSED THE DOOR AND CALLED THE CUSTOMER AND TOLD HER THERE WAS A CHANGE IN PLANS AND WILL SEE HER TOMORROW MORNING. I AM NOW BACKING A NEW CAKE. THE ORIGINAL CAKE TOOK 3 DAYS NOW I HAVE LESS THAN 24 HRS.. CAN'T BELIEVE IT icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif HAPPENED. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

3 replies
wgoat5 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #2 of 4

Oh you poor thing!!!!!!! I am soooo sorry this happened to you!! But we are your cheerleaders and you CAN do it!!!!!

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Christi

Oh btw.....I cringe when I can smell good cake in the car...means something BAD has happened icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 4

What type of dowels did you use ? If they were the standard sized wooden ones, ideally you would have 8 in the 10" cake and 6 in the 8" cake, so four in each tier would be a bit risky. If you used the Wilton plastic dowels, probably 5 in the 10" and 3-4 in the 8" would do the trick. Also, a sharpened central dowel (that actually pierces the bottom cake board) thru all 3 tiers would be a good idea.

How about your cake boards--if they're single layer corrugated cardboard, they may have soaked up moisture and buckled--and the buckling would be worse if support was lacking. If you don't use foamcore, then doubling up on the cardboards and placing a piece of parchment between the cakes and board (or wrapping them in saran wrap) can really help with that issue.

Good luck with the replacement cake--I'm sure it'll go better this time!
Rae

VannaD Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:42am
post #4 of 4

Wow, i cant believe you took the time to fill us in, if i were you i would be freaking out. Kudos to you, i guess thats why i dont do cakes for a living. Good Luck, I hope everything turns out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%