The Million $ Question What Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By katharry Updated 18 Dec 2006 , 1:36am by katharry

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 9

I always have real trouble with smoothing buttercream, Ive got better but I still prefer working with fondant. However I have to make a cake tonight and its going to be buttercream. I want to try a recipe.

Can you give me ideas on what ones in the recipe section are good? It has to be all butter as we cant get Crisco here in NZ. And crusting to so I can TRY and smooth it.

Also do you use unsalted or salted butter?

I know this question gets asked a lot, I did do a search but it came up with pages of unrelated post.. Id really appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers
Kathryn

8 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alacey Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 12:02am
post #3 of 9

My favorite is the marshmellow buttercream off of this site...smooths so easily and taste really good without an overpowering butter taste! Good luck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 12:03am
post #4 of 9

I have a really nice buttercream on my web site: www.thesugarfix.com. It does call for 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter, but it's really good with all butter. It's softer though.

I also suggest unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt you want in your frosting. I usually put about 1/2 tsp. of salt in mine. Most salted butter has 1 tsp. of salt per stick.

Good luck. If you use the recipe I hope you like it.

Michele

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:07am
post #5 of 9

I might be totally wrong, but I thought all-butter icings would not crust. Yes?

No?

Someone who knows for sure, enlighten us all, please.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:14am
post #6 of 9

Just from my experience, even if there is a small amount of butter my icing doesn't crust. I use a Crisco based icing and sometimes reduce the butter to a couple of Tbl's if I'm doing some decorating that needs a firmer icing, but it still never crusts.

I don't know if that is different though if you are using a cooked or meringue type icing. Wow, I can't imagine life without access to shortening! icon_wink.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:19am
post #7 of 9

They LIGHTLY crust . Use the hot spatula method to smooth. -
Take a metal spatula, put in boiling hot water; wipe dry and smooth; every few strokes repeat the hot water. (Remember to dry every time!) The heat melts the butter slightly letting it get very smooth. The retro cake in my photos was smoothed that way.
Thanks be to the wonderful ladies and gents on CC.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:30am
post #8 of 9

There's a tutorial on here that teaches you to frost perfectly. It's called the "upside down icing technique". I had so much trouble being a newbie getting a smooth side and top until I started using this method. You may want to give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:36am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, I normally make my icing by feel, throwing in butter and icing etc, which is exactly why I probably have trouble! icon_lol.gif My all-butter icing does crust but it dries quite quickly. I tried to roller method last night and that worked quite well, but I have real trouble getting the sides smooth and that crisp edge you all get amazes me.

The vegetable shortening we have in NZ is in a block, its not soft but as it is coming into summer here I might try using it as it will be softer with the warmer weather.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%