Ratio Of Cake Servings Per Invited Guest

Decorating By eatsleepdreamcake Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm by indydebi

eatsleepdreamcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatsleepdreamcake Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, I have a bride who wants a cupcake tree for her reception. She's thinking her guest list will be about 300. Fortunately for me, she realizes that she doesn't actually need to have 300 cupcakes! I seem to remember in another thread someone, possibly indydebi, giving a rule of thumb for how many servings of cake to provide in relation to how many invites go out. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it! She's thinking 150-200 cupcakes but wants my help in deciding. TIA!!

9 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 10

it depends if she is inviting mostly relative she could have almost 100% of invities show up

if they are business people then the % could be far less especially if they are out of town.

I would think she should figure 250 and add more after she gets the rsvp I see more people going back for seconds on cupcakes since they are such a small serving especially if there are children present.

so I personally would do 300 +

rlicup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlicup Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 10

I am a newbie and was thinking --

As you all are answering this question - how soon in advance can you start this huge project? Would the cupcakes (as far as being fresh) as a regular cake would?

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 10

From what I've read, indydebi uses a 60% rule. Meaning about 60% of the number invited actually show up. That would be 180 cupcakes based on the 300 number.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 10

duplicate thread ... see add'l responses at http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-558373-.html

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 10

Indydebi's rule is 60% of the invites sent. Except there are three exceptions: 1) African Americans 2) Military 3) Very strong church background. (I think these are right I know she will correct me if I am wrong)

Here is your other thread you posted with some more answers
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-558373-.html

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 10

The general rule for weddings and other large events like this is 2/3.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 10

I might be missing something but I think if you are talking about having a huge dinner and a dessert bar in addition to the cake, then you would estimate less. Even if you are only having cake and slicing it, you can adjust the size of the slices bast on the amount of people who actually show up ( I read a thread where deb did this ) but cupcakes are individual servings and people LOVE them....I suspect once she gets her "final" count, she should order enough to provide one for each or she may end up short and that is no fun.

And it's not like you would cut the cupcakes in half or something - I guess it's the whole point on having cupcakes is so you don't need to cut, etc. I am interested to see what the consensus is on this since I am always learning something new here, lol. icon_smile.gif Is it common practice to order less cake then guests since not everyone eats cake? What about those people icon_redface.gif (tee, hee, hee....not me, of course) who eat two pieces?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 10

ok...one naive question coming up! icon_razz.gif Is it standard & acceptable pracite to eat a piece of cake at the wedding and then take additional cake home? Does that mean the bride had to order extra cake so people can take more? I know they have those boxes but I assumed they were for those who did not eat a piece...... this is probably just one of those things that are common at wedding and I have no clue about but I was wondering...... icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

I have found that people will take a piece home IF THERE IS EXTRA sitting out. Some take a piece home to a spouse or a child who was unable to attend. Some are too full after dinner and take a piece home "for later".

As a general rule, brides order enough cake to feed the guests at the reception ... not to feed the guests later for a midnight snack.

I try to keep a supply of the wax lined cake bags for this purpose. You can order them thru Carlson or any invitation company....cheaper than cake boxes, too. (A ziplock sandwich bag works just as well! icon_wink.gif ). It's part of my "above and beyond" I do which separates me from the competition.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%