Omg!! My Electric Bill! I Have No One Else To Turn To!

Lounge By step0nmi Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm by Housemouse

step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 15

This is proving to be one of the hardest years that I think I may have to go through. I just got my electric bill and it DOUBLED! Yes, doubled and I am on the budget plan! I thought I knew what it was but, apparently not!! I thought that they were suppose to keep you at a certain price so that you could save money but, when it doubles something is wrong! The only thing I can think of is we got a freezer to put in the garage! I don't think that that would double my bill though?
Plus, my husband has been getting his hours cut at work already and it's not even snowing! He works as a land surveyor in Chicago with this older company and I swear they don't know what they're doing! They are cutting him a whole day off of his week, but fortunately the last two weeks that day that he is suppose to have off he is working.
What's worse is I am not working! I am a full time student and the only thing I contribute to the relationship is pain and less money! I swear that these cakes are going to drive me insane! I WANT to bake them but, can't anymore for gifts. I vowed to my husband that I wouldn't waste anymore of our time and money on them. They make me happy but, i think they are getting in the way of things.
Plus, I feel soo stupid...we have been waiting a whole year to get a new computer and finally got one...and then this happens! I swear...the place that we are living at just wasn't meant to be. We just got this place in April and it's already causing problems. The landlords are new and they don't know much about how to care for their tenants. I think I am actually going to have to speak to them about this electricity thing. Our basement washer/dryer is not split to the upstairs..we pay it! I KNOW, STUPID!!! I HAD to have this place!!! Plus, I think we pay for the garage electricity...I don't know if that is significant but, it may put us up a little more on the bill.

THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME RANT!! ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
I feel a little better now!

Stephanie

14 replies
mkerton Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 15

hope you get things worked out real soon.......can you get a part-time job somewhere? I worked full time and went to college full time (it was hard but I was single with no kids so that helped) so I am thinking part-time would be doable??? I dont really care for the level payment plans on utilities because I think it lulls people into thinking this will always be my pmt when in reality they can adjust it 1 or 2 times a year (depending on the company) to keep up with current usage. For me it seems to work out pretty level....I pay next to nothing for gas in the spring and summer and high electric bills (air conditioning)..... then in the fall/winter, I pay next to nothing for electricity and high gas bills for heat..... so thats just the way we do it. We also save money by keeping our air set to 78 (76 when my hubby is home as he gets hot easily), and 62 in the winter (yes 62!) we just wear warm clothes and wrap up in blankets. (we just bought a wood-burning insert that I am excited to use on really biterly cold days but it hasnt been installed yet).

Hang in there.......and try and come up with a plan on how you can save and earn more money. I dont work right now (expect if you count the $450 a month I earn in babysitting)...but if things get bad I plan on working part-time at my favorite craft store or something like that.

indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 15

Do they estimate the bill for 2 months then read it on the third month? If so and if they are underestimating, then the 3rd month will be high as it 'catches up'.

Call the electric company and tell them what happened. Tell them there has been nothing significant to add to your bill and ask them to check and/or replace the meter.

Adding a freezer shouldn't double your bill. THings like baseboard heaters will affect it

leily Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 15

I am sorry to hear about this. I would definitely ask the electric company for some explination.

The budget billing I am on they actually go back the last 6 months and average out what the usage was then that is what I pay for the next 6 months. So in the winter I am actually paying more b/c the summer is when we use more electricity, but our budget only varies about 30-40 dollars between the two seasons.

I would also ask them how they notify you of when your budget is going up and how much it is going up. The company we use has a blurb on the bottom of every bill of what our current rate is, what month of the budget billing it is (ours is reviewed every 6 months) and if it is the 6 month then there is a line saying, next budget billing will be $.... this lets me know if it is going up or down.

I hope it gets worked out for the good for you.

step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 15

OMG! Thanks guys for your help! I just wrote down all the questions I need to know now when they call.
Also, we are not paying for our heat...the landlord pays that. But, we are paying for the gas to heat the water! I wonder if that was it! When we first moved in the people up stairs were washing and drying stuff like crazy! And that was exactly 6 months ago!
I knew that this NOT split electricity and gas was going to bite us in the a$$ for the basement. I am really kicking myself.
My mom also said that the usage from the new freezer wouldn't be that much of a difference. But, when I looked at what was increased it was the gas! I think I am going to have to talk to the landlord!

THANKS GUYS!!

indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I knew that this NOT split electricity and gas was going to bite us in the a$$ for the basement. I am really kicking myself.

Oh, man, my very first apartment was like that! We lived downstairs and there was an apartment upstairs. Only one furnace AND we had the only thermostat! So we had to check with the upstairs folks all the time on how the heat was for them. Whoever thought THAT was a good idea?

frostingfairy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 15

I had a similar problem in a place I lived once. We moved into this new apartment and were surprised that the electric bill was twice what it was at our old place. After a few months, we realized that the live-in superintendent had rigged his electricity to ours and basically we were paying his electric bill along with ours! We only found this out the day the police came and arrested him for dealing drugs out of his apartment! icon_eek.gif

You might want to check and make sure that nothing extraneous is being added to your bill.

Nadya Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 15

I am sure the electric company will be able to work out some payment plan with you if you explain everything to them. Another thing I'd be paying attention to, is that your electric company is not cheating you. It has happened to my parents-in-law a few times lately, they were charged twice as much as what they were supposed to pay because the guy who reads meter was reading it wrong.

step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadya

I am sure the electric company will be able to work out some payment plan with you if you explain everything to them. Another thing I'd be paying attention to, is that your electric company is not cheating you. It has happened to my parents-in-law a few times lately, they were charged twice as much as what they were supposed to pay because the guy who reads meter was reading it wrong.

The only thing with the meter here is that it is automatically read through the company...no one comes out to read it...not really sure how that works.

Well, since I've written this I have spoken with the company. It seems that my electric is what has spiked and there could be quite a few reasons for certain months. The only thing is WE CAN'T PAY IT! We will be living so tight there will be no room for error. And I am soo sad because the amount that we owe is the exact amount we just spent on our new computer. This computer we have is so bad that as I am typing this the computer is like 5 words behind what I'm actually typing! I do a LOT of school work on this thing and can't afford to loose it!

I am also going to try to reason with the landlord about paying some of this because of all the things that is being used by the other tenants and how much yard work we need to do for this place! I think they are reasonable people but, we may just have to move. I am going to miss my lovely kitchen...which could also be a culprit!
anyway...thanks everyone for your help! At least all of your advice is great, my mom wasn't so supportive! icon_sad.gif

leily Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 15

So correct me if I am wrong, from what I am reading, you are paying the utility bill for you and the other people in your building? Something doesnt' seem right here.... I sure hope I am wrong otherwise your landlord needs to do something different.

step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

So correct me if I am wrong, from what I am reading, you are paying the utility bill for you and the other people in your building? Something doesnt' seem right here.... I sure hope I am wrong otherwise your landlord needs to do something different.

Yes, it seems weird...I am actually paying for the washer/dryer that is used by both of us in the basement...the electricity and the gas for the water is payed by us for both of us to use...landlord's washer and dryer though...I believe I am also paying for the garage electricity which may be part of the problem..I put a chest freezer in there this past summer. So, not for the whole building JUST the washer/dryer, lights in the basement and garage.
We are going to have to talk to them though. I REALLY WANTED THIS KITCHEN!!! But, it has an electric stove! i think that is also the culprit!

indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

But, it has an electric stove! i think that is also the culprit!

Years ago, when 1st hubby was complaing about how my caking was running up the electric bill, I called the electric company to find out how much it cost to run an oven. Long story short, they called me back and it cost 3 cents an hour to run an oven! Now this was like 25-30 years ago, but even with inflation, it's not much more .... especially with new technology that is so much more cost efficient.

jmt1714 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 15

electricity costs (also gas costs) for utilities are up all over the country because the cost of electricity generation has increased. Some areas also are affected by the allowable rise due to the expiration of dergulation caps. It might not be a one time thing and that might be your costs from now on. Something to consider.

Dordee Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 15

I have a 10 x 12 storage building in which I keep my tanning bed and freezer in and even with me laying in the tanning bed in the summer 3 or 4 days a week and the freezer on all the time the bill is only around $9.00 a month so that freezer, i'm sure is not the culprit in doubling your bill. Am I understanding correctly that you pay for someone else to use the washer and dryer and they pay nothing. They would pay half or they wouldn't have clean clothes. And are you paying to heat two apartments? If that's the case then I want to live in their apartment because they are making off like bandits. They should pay half. That's only fair in my book. I have never heard of a setup like that in my life. I'm sorry but the whole situation just sounds so unfair to me. I hope your electric company helps you with this. Good luck!

Charlotte

Housemouse Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 15

are you sure your landlords haven't got their parents living in the upstairs appartment, living the life of Riley cos some one else is footing the bills!!!

have also heard of others wiring in their electric to some one else - a man in the village where I used to live had the council pay for his electricity (unbeknownst to them of course).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%