Any Ideas For Kids' Activities On The Airplane??

Lounge By LaSombra Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm by mamacc

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:04am
post #1 of 15

I've just bought airline tickets for myself and my three boys (my husband can't go cause he's got to work) to fly back to Ohio, where we moved here from. Anyway, I think my 7 year old will be pretty easy to keep busy, with books and maybe a craft project...but what could keep my 2 and 4 year old busy? They're all boys.

My 4 year old does like hidden pictures like maybe Where's Waldo or something...but that can't keep him busy for two pretty long flights! but I still haven't thought of anything for the 2 year old! icon_sad.gif I just hope they aren't running up and down the aisles icon_surprised.gif OK, I won't let them but I could just see it now icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, anyone with ideas, they're ALL welcome, just do some brainstorming with me!! please? icon_razz.gif

14 replies
Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:17am
post #2 of 15

When my daughter was 4 years old, we went to Cancun from Columbus, Ohio. Talk about a long flight with a little one!

She kept busy with math workbooks, a magnadoodle, and those Crayola markers that only work on special paper. I'm not sure if the markers would be allowed anymore though. If you bring pencils make sure they are already sharpened because pencil sharpeners aren't allowed.

The look and find books sound like a great idea. Scholastic has some great ones called, Can You See What I See?

LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 15

hey leah! I'm going to Columbus, actually. I lived there since I was 9 and just moved a couple years ago (lived there 20 years). Lived in Reynoldsburg most of the time...just going back to visit friends.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about the magnadoodle. I'm going to have to get on amazon.com to find more things. I hadn't thought about the new flying restrictions. No pencil sharpeners really?? wow...

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:51am
post #4 of 15

Check out the FAA website for the latest restrictions right before you leave. We took our 2 year old to Orlando last year, and made the mistake of changing planes in Atlanta! 6+ hours on the first leg of the flight! She had crayons, color books, her My First Leapster game, finger foods, stickers and paper and a couple favorite toys, a doll and a stuffed Mickey Mouse. She ended up sleeping most of the time. The older two brought their game boys and some games, books to read, puzzle books and homework. icon_wink.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:11am
post #5 of 15

When we would fly from Orlando to cincinnati my son would always takes his hot wheel cars. I would go to the dollar store before we left and pick up a toy for every hour. He was so excited ( and I was excited because I only spent 3 or 4 dollars) to get a new toy every hour but he always went back to his hot wheels. icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 15

What about Mad Libs? An Etch-a Sketch. I'd take some sandwiches and snacks, too, since the airlines have cut back on amenities. You're awfully brave to do this by yourself!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 15

My kids are 8 yrs, 21 months and 10 months.

We always bring little dry snacks, crayons, Magnadoodle or something to draw with, some little dinosaurs or little dolls, their favorite "lovey" and a DVD player. Sometimes you'll get lucky and be on a flight with TV. But even just a couple kids shows on a DVD player or our laptop takes up time since they can't get up and walk around.

I would always check the FAA site. Things change a lot with what you can and can't bring.

GL!

LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 15

You guys are great thumbs_up.gif alot of great ideas icon_biggrin.gif I don't know why I didn't think of a game boy!! We don't have one but my 4 year old would be entertained for the entire trip with one of those, I'm sure icon_surprised.gif I'll have to see how expensive they are...might be worth it at whatever price icon_rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean about the snacks...they've really cut back on that stuff. When I was growing up, I flew all the time because my dad worked for an airline. They always had meals on the flights and snacks with peanuts, etc. Now, you might get a drink and some crackers or something...I did get used to bringing my own food on because we didn't always get the meal since we were "non-rev" and only got a meal if there was enough for everyone and sometimes it was the gross thing left over. My kids are already excited that there's a McDonald's in the airport though lol

good idea about a toy for every hour! Mine would likely dig them all out though lol, little sneaks icon_razz.gif

I already told my oldest (7yo) that his job during the trip was to keep the other two from running around and getting away. He's to keep them in line so they don't get lost or taken. The thing I'm worried most about is if my 2 year old wants to be carried the whole time during layover.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 15

Be careful what electronic toys that you take. I read somewhere that security is looking extra hard at children's carry-on bags that have remote control toys.

LaSombra Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 15

In case anyone else is interested, here's the FAA list:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Some of these are kinda funny in the sense that...do you even have to ask? I mean, come on...an axe? flame thrower? chinese stars??

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 15

BENADRYL icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

just kidding!

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 10:33am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

just kidding!

Haha...I was just scrolling down to write the exact same thing!!!!!!
~The Cupcake Mom...mom of four...three of which are under 3. icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

just kidding!

lol! Someone in another forum suggested whiskey in their juice. No way!! icon_lol.gif

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 15

my kids are 7 and 3 and we flew a couple of times this past year. i have to say the crayola markers that only work on specail paper were great. I think its elmer that makes paints that work the same way and come in travel pack. I wouldnt suggest anythign that is noisy. If you get lucky you will fly on a plane that has cable. that was the best thing ever I paid 5 bucks per person but my little one got to watch dora the whole flight it was a life saver. One more thing you know how adults chew gum to help there ears I gave my youngest raisens because she cant have gum and raisens were chewy enought to help her ears.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 15

Yes, the color wonder markers and paper would be good for the younger ones. My almost two year old dd loves them!

Also, both my boys love sticker books and invisible ink books. The inv. ink books made by lee publications are really good. They have them at some bookstores and online...

Good luck!

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%