Can I Just Say...i Hate Bake Even Strips!

Decorating By melysa Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm by Tina_Mace

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #1 of 43

argh. i just had to get that off my chest. everytime i bake with them, yes, the tops are better off, but the sides and bottoms never brown fully. i suppose i'm just whining. i've baked 3 tiers of a wedding cake tonight and am having the "worst" luck. to top it off, i was at the end of the can of non stick baking spray and so it didnt work that well- the sides and bottoms are sticking to the pan! ok- thought that whining would make me feel better, and i suppose in an odd way, i do, but it still stinks.

but darned those dumb strips!

42 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #2 of 43

are they too wet??

I've never had a problem with them, but I use flower nails as well.

I also make my own batch of pan grease

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:14am
post #3 of 43

Gosh, I think it's a GOOD thing that my white cake doesn't turn that yucky, looks-like-it's-overcooked, brown color. I LIKE the nice, white, golden shade of perfection that doesn't look like a line of poopy down the middle of my wedding cakes! icon_lol.gif

Yep! No browning of the cakes for me!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:18am
post #4 of 43

Too chicken to try the strips.

I feel sorry for you Melysa, really do. Can I have your scraps? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm still dreaming about your choco mocha cake -- and I am NOT a coffee drinker!! heh heh

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:21am
post #5 of 43

to tell you the truth (dont anyone take offense), I cant tell the difference; I used to use them but I have a stack of flower nails and those are soo much easier; maybe its multiple flower nails? the pans? lower oven temp? or a combination not sure but I get the same results with or without.... thumbs_up.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 43

melysa I hate them too! I never used them for 26 years with no problems then because I heard so much praise on CC I bought a set, talk about being swayed by peer pressure icon_lol.gif They are hard to handle, I burned my fingertips when I took them off, I will probably put them in the goodwill box that I take once a month.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Jibbies

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Gosh, I think it's a GOOD thing that my white cake doesn't turn that yucky, looks-like-it's-overcooked, brown color. I LIKE the nice, white, golden shade of perfection that doesn't look like a line of poopy down the middle of my wedding cakes! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ME TOO! ME TOO!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #8 of 43
Quote:

Me too! I like how the brown tastes on bundt cake or muffins, but for cakes I will ice, I prefer barely-pale-golden. I use bake-even strips for every cake I put in the oven. In fact in 20 years, I have thrown a few bake even strips away when they finally fell apart from constant use.

melysa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #9 of 43

poop debi ?!?!?!?!?!? i'm too tired and frustrated to laugh even though that was kind of funny. not brown- just firm and lightly golden, basically not MUSH that sticks to the pan. if i let it go longer, the top is dark dark dark.

i just did another tier without the strips and aaaah, its perfect. not much of a dome either.

i'm tired. 4 more cakes to go, and decorating a grooms cake tonight so i can do the wedding cake tomorrow. the grooms cake is a vintage nintendo game console with controllers. its already fondanted (is that a word? haha) just needs lots of detail.

GI, that IS good chocolate cake isnt it?

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #10 of 43

Well for hundreds of years, icon_wink.gif I haven't used them but have thought seriously about starting to use them as I am really tired of throwing away the cake bumps. That is alot of cake in the trash and NO , I don't make cake balls. Don't need anything else to do.
So are they recommended or 86'ed??

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #11 of 43

cakequeen50
I'm 86ing mine (see earlier post)

Jibbies

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #12 of 43

I love my bake even strips. I also use a flower nail too, which makes for a very little dome when I bake. So put me down as a "stripper"

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:34am
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

GI, that IS good chocolate cake isnt it?

Mmmmmmmmmm yuuummmeeee 'licious Chocolate Mocha Cake!

Slurp! hat1.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakequeen50 - I haven't been able to make a decent cakeball to save my life, so quit trying!! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

So are they recommended or 86'ed??

I went 20 years without discovering this masterful marvels of technology and wondered how the heck I ever did a cake before!

I will not bake a cake without a baking strip on the pan. I don't need flower nails or baking cores. Just the strips.

Guess that makes me a "stripper", too!

(By the way, in the TMI column, I actually did that once on a dance floor! Of course I was a cute, perky, sexy, lousy 118 lbs during the disco days! I got down to my body suit and 4" heels and never bought a drink the rest of the night! It was some guys birthday and the song was the "Noxema" ("take it off ... take it ALL off!") song. Just when you think you've heard it all from me, huh? !) icon_lol.gifparty.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #15 of 43

Indy, I'm joining ya in the TMI...except my strip was to Play That Funky Music White Boy, back in the disco days. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

melysa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:19am
post #16 of 43

play that funky music white boy...oh man, i'm going to be singing that song all night long now. thanks. lol.

i like using the heavy duty pans, seems like i dont need much of anything with those. no stips, no nail, no dome, no nothin'.

oh well. unfortunately on this cake, i dont have a full set of the magic line pans so i'll make do.

done baking... aaaah icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:34am
post #17 of 43
Quote:

(By the way, in the TMI column, I actually did that once on a dance floor! Of course I was a cute, perky, sexy, lousy 118 lbs during the disco days! I got down to my body suit and 4" heels and never bought a drink the rest of the night! It was some guys birthday and the song was the "Noxema" ("take it off ... take it ALL off!") song. Just when you think you've heard it all from me, huh? !) icon_lol.gifparty.gif

Add me to the TMI list as well...My...umm...em-bare-ass-(mo)ment was to the tune of "Lady Marmalade" (voulez vous coucher avec moi, c'est soir?...struttin' her stuff down in old New Orleans) icon_redface.gif

We apparently were all hot stuff back in the day...who knew!

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #18 of 43

when I use strips, they definateley come out flatter.. I'm a stripper..

Wendy icon_eek.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 43

Love my bake even strips icon_biggrin.gif.

I don't even use grease anymore; I line my pans with parchment paper and collar the sides. That may change as I start purchasing 3" deep pans, but parchment paper collars / bake even strips are the only way to get decent height on my round/square cakes at the moment.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

i like using the heavy duty pans, seems like i dont need much of anything with those. no stips, no nail, no dome, no nothin'.

oh well. unfortunately on this cake, i dont have a full set of the pans so i'll make do.

done baking... aaaah icon_smile.gif

it took me a while to realize this, but its true. with the heavy duty magic line pans i NEVER have domes. its only when i use the cheapy wilton pans that they dome. and then they dome bad. it was after i realized this that i read somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that the heavy pans get rid of doming. now i have to get all of my sizes in magic line, im still half wilton.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #21 of 43

I have not had any problems with the bake even strips. I do make my own pan coat:
1 cup oil (liquid)
1 cup shortening (solid)
1 cup flour (plain not self-rising)
Mix all together in KA until combined and keep in a covered container the fridge. I use a pastry brush to spread it in my cake pans.
Happy Baking and Decorating

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #22 of 43

I'm a sort of stripper i think! I use strips of soaked newspaper round the outside of my tins and it makes so much difference! But my kids are disappointed that they don't get to eat so many domes now..........

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 43

thanks for sharing your home made coat secret. how long will that keep in the fridge? I am also half wilton & half magic line. I love those heavy pans & it definitely bake different than the wilton. icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #24 of 43

becca and ml3, me too...half and half. i LOVE the difference in the good pans. its a time saver and even an INGREDIENT saver!

i'm done with the nintendo cake- came out pretty cool...i am proud icon_smile.gif

now i'm working on getting the brides cake iced....thankfully i use smbc and so it smooths well and fills in the little gaps where my blasted cakes stuck to the cheap pans!

i slept 2 hours last night and took a mini nap this morning. i'll surviving on red bull energy drink. i'll be happy when tomorrow is finished!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:03pm
post #25 of 43

I love them in fact before I found them back in the 70's I used strips of wet towel with safety pins.

I have found the new ones I bought in the last few years do not soak up the water as fast as my old ones.... but sitting them in a bowl of water solves that.

I always use them though I do use a flower nail for the very large cakes also.

I also want the sides and bottom of my white cakes done but pale.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:51pm
post #26 of 43

I love my bake-even strips. I've got some that I've had for 17 1/2 years that I think have about baked their last cakes. If I ever forget to put one on, I'm frustrated when I have to start leveling then.

I put my strippers in a bowl of cold water, squeeze the air out, and then put a small plate on top to keep them under the water. When I take them out, I squeeze out the water and attach. It works really well for large cakes that have a longer baking time.

I need to get some new 9" rounds so I think I'll try out the Magic Line pans and see how they work.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Quote:

Add me to the TMI list as well...My...umm...em-bare-ass-(mo)ment was to the tune of "Lady Marmalade" (voulez vous coucher avec moi, c'est soir?...struttin' her stuff down in old New Orleans) icon_redface.gif

We apparently were all hot stuff back in the day...who knew!

Heck, I used to be a stripper... I made waaaaay more money dancing than I do making cakes!!! Oh well....too much BS to deal with. Cakes are more long term.

Oh, and about the baking strips. I use them regularly and my cakes come out very level. icon_biggrin.gif Now the whole flower nail thing I don't really get...

Courtney

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 11:47am
post #28 of 43

Sorry I'm jumping in late here but I was having the same problem. Finally bought an oven thermometer, didn't think I needed it the oven is still kinda new. I found out my oven was running about 25 degrees lower than I would set it. So when I would set my oven at 325 it was barely reaching 300. The baking strips were making it take even longer for any heat to reach the batter. AGHHHH! No wonder I was having all those problems.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:37pm
post #29 of 43

Biya, I have oven problems too! I tried baking brownies and blondies and they were done around the edges but very rawish/over moist in the middle. My cakes are always more done on the edges. How much did the oven thermometer cost? My oven runs hot, so therefore, I'm always underbaking to try to avoid burning! I hate playing this stupid game!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

melysa I hate them too! I never used them for 26 years with no problems then because I heard so much praise on CC I bought a set, talk about being swayed by peer pressure icon_lol.gif They are hard to handle, I burned my fingertips when I took them off, I will probably put them in the goodwill box that I take once a month.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Jibbies

Oh, send them to me, I love using mine and only have problems with my cakes when I don't use them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%