W 9 Form?

Business By andrea7 Updated 21 Mar 2014 , 6:08pm by tazmycat

andrea7 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 16

I am becoming a preferred vendor for a local hotel. This hotel sells complete packages to the bride including the cake. The hotel will be paying me. They have asked for a w 9 form. What the heck is that? I have a tax number but i've never been asked for this form. Anyone have a clue? Andrea

15 replies
patticakesnc Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 16

A w-9 or an I-9?

An I-9 is proof of identity and eligibility to work in the US. I can send you one if you need one or a link to down load it.

patticakesnc Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 16

Ok W-9 is request for taxpayers id #. Here is that form. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

I don't really understand if the Hotel is paying you why they are asking for this, but here it is.

lacie Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 16

it sounds to me like they are taking you on as an Independent Contractor not an employee. here is a link to the irs definitions between the too



i worked for a company that had a lot of independent contractors, they had to submit a w9 so we had proof they were a ligit business, we paid the business not the individual person.

andrea7 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 16

since you have done this before do I just present them with a form?

RisqueBusiness Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 16

a 1099 is an independant contractor form so you can declare your income and pay your tax accordingly.

I don't know what a w9 is..you can call the local tax department or check out their web site.

patticakesnc Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 16

We are contractors too but never had to show this. If you look at the link I sent you that is the form you need to fill out and give them. This will give them the paperwork that they need to send you a 1099 at the end of the year for your subcontract earnings.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 6:06am
post #8 of 16

It is a form you fill out and give to the business that is paying you. It will have your name, business address, SSN, and your signature. This is just one way for the IRS to keep a talley of what you are selling. Anytime you are paid over $600 from a business this form must be filled out so they can send you a form 1099 for the tax year. It's ridiculous and I hate giving out that info. The only way to get around it is to have someone pay you with a personal check/personal cash/personal cc and then they turn the expense into the company for reimbursement.

JoAnnB Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 6:28am
post #9 of 16

The hotel is required to verify you tax id number with the form W-9, then to send you a 1099 (if you earn over $600). The penalities for them can be tremendous if they don't do this correctly. There is no 'legal' way around it.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 16

I just want to clear a few things up for you...the company you are providing the service/merchandise for is requestion your federal ID number (not tax ID number) which in most cases, for small businesses, is the owner's SSN. The only reason they need this is because this is how the IRS identifies you and how they can verify some of your sales/income. I have several accounts that are paid via employee cc and then the employee is reimbursed. That makes the employee, and not the company my customer. When I first started selling to business/corporation I called the IRS and they explained everything to me. Rather than get all this mixed info on the board (not trying to bash anyone) you might want to just call the IRS yourself. Taxes are certainly an aspect your business you don't want to "get wrong".

patticakesnc Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 16

Wow I cannot believe this became such a huge conversation.

Have you ever had a job? You know the forms you fill out when you get a job? One is an I-9 this is request for verification of and Individual.

You are not an individual. You are a business. This is just the form for them to verify your information.

When a business pays someone such as your self as a subcontractor to do something they must send 1099 forms at the end of the year. They have to have the correct social security number or tax id number (and yes it is a tax id, but the federal tax id not the state one).

If you don't have a EIN (employer id number) don't worry about it, just use your social security number.

When the hotel files its taxes at the end of the year in order to take deductions for the contract labor (you) they have to have the correct information for you. If they don't they have to pay the taxes on the money you collected.

I don't want to confuse you but just look at the link here. It is the form you need to print if they did not give you one and fill it out and give it to the Hotel.

You can call the IRS if you like but it plainly states what the form is for on the form. I have been doing taxes for 19 years and trust me, it is not as confusing as is can sound.


indydebi Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:22am
post #12 of 16

I had a commercial customer who requested my Fed ID#. At the time, I was a sole proprietor and was not required to have a Fed ID#, so I gave them (the required) SSN to use. They tried to balk and said I had to have a Fed ID# until I "educated" them that as a sole proprietor with no employees, I was not required to have one.

P.S. I'm now an LLC, so I don't have to educate 'em anymore .... I just give them my FIN.

julzelie Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 5:03am
post #13 of 16

For Fillable PDF Forms or any kinds of Fillable Forms please visit our website PDFfiller.com and for W9 Form you may follow this link - http://goo.gl/JMP1fW

You can edit your PDF form, fill the text fields, add a variety of checkmarks, digitally eSign the PDF form and even add pictures. After your PDF form is completed, it can be printed, emailed, faxed or saved on your computer. You can even send fillable PDF forms to your customers, employees, vendors and partners. Convert Microsoft Office files into PDF file by using PDFfiller.com. Try it!

jericaenriquez Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 16

Hello there! W9 form is a tax form for the United States which certifies an individual's taxpayer identification number. I would suggest to fill out this form using PDFfiller.com!  You can find a blank Fillable Form W9 form here http://goo.gl/RFPfUY and also a blank 1003 form here http://goo.gl/XHxfFo.Please feel free to use it. You can fill out the form, save it, fax it, and email it. Works great for me!

eatmycakebaby Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 16

Its used to prove you are who you say you are. You also have to provide with it a copy of two forms of ID such as social security card, passport, and or state and local ID or drivers ID

tazmycat Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 16

The I-9 is totally different from the W-9. The I-9 is put out by Homeland Security and is used to identify people and make sure they are not illegal aliens.  It proves you are who you say you are and that you are authorized to work inthe US.    It is the one that has to have either a SS card and birth certificate or picture ID.  The W9 does not require this.  I do E-verify all the time which is entering the I-9 into the HS system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%