Yippee! I Just Entered The State Fair :-)))

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 3:37am by kdbobo

maggiev777 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:34am
post #1 of 27

Ok, I've never entered anything in the State Fair before, but I went for it this year and entered two decorated cakes. Woohoo! I'm pretty happy with both cakes (they are both in my photos - the stacked pillow cake and the jungle cake) though there were lots of really cute cakes there so I don't actually expect to win anything. But I'm proud of myself just for doing it because I tried lots of new things, learned a ton, and had lots of fun icon_biggrin.gif

I also asked a bunch of questions here on CC while I was working on them, so I appreciate all of you who helped me out!!

Thanks for looking at my cakes icon_smile.gif

26 replies
kathik Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 27

I just LOVE your jungle cake!! And those stacked pillow cakes just intimidate me to death!

I didn't see your cakes when we dropped off my daughter's cake. You must have brought it later in the morning. Are they in the Professional or Non-Professional category? I'm not ready in anyway to put a cake in any competition. Yours are beautiful!

Good luck,
Kathi

mrsbink Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #3 of 27

WOW, I hope that they are in the Professional category! those are great cakes. Congrats on being in your first fair!

kdbobo Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #4 of 27

I entered two cakes, too--but in the "layer cakes" category rather than decorated--just baking was stressful enough. Good luck to you!

rcs Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:41am
post #5 of 27

Both cakes are wonderful!!! You should win with both!

maggiev777 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks so much for the votes of confidence, ladies!! You are so sweet to think I would enter the Professional category. Heehee I've definitely never sold a cake before! In fact all but 3 of the cakes I've ever done are posted in my pics here on the site. I'm definitely no Professional! But I do like a challenge and I get great ideas and tons of tips on CC.

There were lots of lovely cakes at the Fair and I'm not sure which were in my categories, so I have no idea what the competition is. I figure if I win that will be a nice surprise, but I certainly saw others that could win over mine. Really I'm just proud of myself for entering!

kdbobo Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 27

maggie--do you know when and how the winner will be announced? I don't think I'll get to the Fair before late next week--and I don't wanna wait till then! icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #8 of 27

When we dropped off my daughter's cake they said they would be posting the winners on the website, but I haven't seen them posted yet. I hope they do because we can't go until the last day!

Anyone going sooner???

Kathi

Lorendabug Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:24am
post #9 of 27

Good luck to you all!

Maggiev777, I love both of your cakes! My boys like the jungle cake and the girls are going crazy for your stacked pillow cake. Keep us posted on the results.

CakesByBabycakes Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #10 of 27

Awesome cakes!! Good Luck!

Tona Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #11 of 27

I love both cakes they are awesome. Good Luck to you

maggiev777 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #12 of 27

Thanks for the well wishes icon_smile.gif

We aren't getting to the Fair until Wednesday, so I'm figuring I will have to wait until then to see if I won anything. I didn't know they were posting results online, but I just checked the website and don't see them. I could find results only for the Special Cooking Contests (brand name stuff).

Kathi - which one was your daughter's cake, btw?

Strazle Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 12:57am
post #13 of 27

Someone took pics of the NC state fair cakes and posted them on flickr.com. I saw the pillow cake there. I think you did a fabulous job!

subaru Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:01am
post #14 of 27

Your cakes are beautiful! Hope you win! Nothing like getting those ribbons!

sisita Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:10am
post #15 of 27

Beautiful cakes... Good luck

maggiev777 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:15am
post #16 of 27

Strazle - Thanks for the heads up! I just searched on Flickr for "cake NC state fair" and found the pics you are talking about! There are definitely some awesome cakes there. I'm bummed that it looks like neither of mine won anything, but that is okay - I wasn't really expecting them to (though still kinda hoping, kwim?). Anyway there are lots of awesome cakes there. I can't wait to go on Wednesday and get a better look at them all!

kathik Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #17 of 27

Chani's cake is a Noah's Ark cake. I just looked at Flickr but they didn't have a lot of kids cakes up. But if anyone goes before Sunday, we'd love to hear some results!!!

Thanks,
Kathi

Strazle Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #18 of 27

Well, maybe they did win something but he/she just didn't include the ribbon in the pics. Some of my friends and family tried to encourage me to enter the competition but I decided against it. The reason: I don't think my work it good enough and after viewing all those cakes....I'm glad I didn't enter. Your cakes are beautiful and I applaud you for entering. Maybe some day I will get up the nerve to do it too.

marthajo1 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #19 of 27

I can't believe how many amazing cakes you guys are all up against!! There were so many! No professionals entered in my county this year! And there were only maybe 25 cakes in the amateur divisions. That is insane! I wonder if it is like that because there are more shows in general back east? Or if it is just my county!

maggiev777 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #20 of 27

Kathi - Cute!! I will have to look for it on Wednesday when I visit the fair icon_smile.gif

Strazle - I don't think so, but thanks for the benefit of the doubt icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, you should enter next year! Your cakes are totally cute!! Don't sell yourself short icon_smile.gif

cakemaker288 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:43pm
post #21 of 27

icon_smile.gif Hi, I was just wondering how you go about entering a cake in the fair. I would appreciate any help!
cakemaker288

kdbobo Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 27

Hi Cakemaker:

Are you in NC?

alanahodgson Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #23 of 27

maggiev777,

Your cakes turned out beautifully! I have a question. What is your tiara made of? It looks like fondant/gumpaste through a clay gun. Seems that would be less fragile than royal icing. I have to do a tiara in December and yours is a wonderful example.

maggiev777 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #24 of 27

My cakes both won ribbons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My pillow cake won first place in its category and my jungle cake won second place in its category. I'm honestly stunned. The ribbons are right beside the cakes so I don't know how the person who posted the flickr pics got pics without the ribbons. Maybe that was before they had arranged them all. Guess you were right, Strazle! Anyway I am SO excited! I had really just figured I didn't win anything and just had fun entering. I really didn't care about winning, but now that I won something, I kinda like it! LOL

cakemaker - I would google the State Fair for your state. They likely have a website that will tell you about how to enter. For NC, the competition info is here :http://www.ncstatefair.org/2007a/Competitions/index.htm . Obviously for 2008 the link will be different but reading the premium book info can give you some idea what is expect.

Alana - the tiara is made of gumpaste. I tried two RI tiaras before the gumpaste one, and both broke several times! They were driving me nuts. I switched to gumpaste and it was a dream to work with. Soooo much less fragile. I am working on a little tip sheet to answer a bunch of questions I have gotten and I will post that when I get finished with it icon_biggrin.gif

And Kathi - I'm confused!!! Is this your daughter's cake??? The name says Naomi, but you said Chani? But it is Noah's ark - I so hope it is your daughter's!! Please tell us if it is!!!

kathik Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm
post #25 of 27

First of all, congratulations maggiev777!! I'm glad your cakes won ribbons. They are so beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif

Second of all, YES!!! That's my daughter's cake!! Her screen name is Chani (her middle name), but her "real" name is Naomi! Thank you for posting the picture. I can't wait to show it to her! icon_biggrin.gif

Kathi

maggiev777 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:06am
post #26 of 27

Yay!!!!!! That is so awesome, Kathi!!! I thought for sure it was hers because I couldn't see any other Noah's ark cake, but the name difference threw me off. Her cake is so beautiful!!! She must be SO excited! If she is on CC then she should post her own thread to toot her horn! She really did an awesome job. Please give her my congratulations icon_biggrin.gif

kdbobo Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #27 of 27

congratulations, maggie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%