Wood Floor Look

Decorating By summerolivia Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm by weirkd

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a bowling alley cake for this weekend and needed some pointers. I am going to decorate it as a single bowling lane with the wood floor, pins, gutters and all. The customer would like buttercream instead of fondant (the accents will be in fondant), so I was wondering how can I get a wood floor look on buttercream??? Any suggestions??? Thanks!

3 replies
summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 4

Doew ANYONE out there in CakeLand have any suggestions for poor newbie me?????? icon_cry.gif

bluedragonfly_79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedragonfly_79 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 4

I dont know if it would work on butter cream but I use gel food coloring on fondant. mix a little with vodka or other clear alcohol and paint in rows. add small ammounts of strait gell here and there then drag the paintbrush over them to lengthen the spot of straight color to create the apperance of boards and grain. I have a pic in my collection where i did this sorry if it does not make any sense
good luck
s

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 4

Make a really liquidy color using either lemon extract or vodka and brown coloring. They make a tool that you can get at Home Depot and places that is made for faux finishing doors to replicate wood. You take and paint your piece with the brown color and then go over it after with this tool in rows. As your pulling down over it roll the tool up and down and it will give you the effect you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%