Classes Vs. Practice

Decorating By doughdough Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 3:39am by KathysCC

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 18

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered, but here goes:

I have been in hard-core decorating mode for a couple of years now, and up to this point I am completely self-taught. I own literally dozens of decorating how-to books, including all of Colette Peters' books and all of the Wilton Yearbooks dating back to 1970! (yes, I know, pretty obsessive!)

I do have Wilton classes in my area, and I am curious to see what you CC'ers think about them.

Are classes worth the time and money? Or am I better off using the money toward more supplies and continue to practice on my own?

17 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 18

What do you think you are good at and what do you not feel confident with?

Which classes might benefit you would depend on what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 18

I am really on the fence regarding Wilton courses. I would recommend you by the book for each course, practice the techniques taught on your own. If you feel you are having a tough time mastering them alone, sign up for the course.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 18

you may be better off trying to find a cake supply store in your area that teaches classes. I took Wilton and it was a great start but you may already be beyond that. I am lucky to have a shop about 30 minutes from me that I have taken lots of classes at. In fact I was going to take a class with Bronwen on Sunday but I think the Coach purse I just bought will have to be my big purchase for this week.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 18

Wilton classes are great for basic decorating skills, I have and am taking them as I learn much better "hands on" than through reading a book. I never read instructions to put things together or when I buy a new gadget. I learn better by doing so the classes have helped me build a foundation to build on. I am now able to try things I would not have tried before. icon_smile.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 18

I only took a Wilton class because the buttercream rose was kicking my butt! I took the class and I now can make one!!! Maybe take a class if they are offering something you feel shakey on? I did learn from mine, but I had a tiny bit of experience from a previous class (like maybe 7 years ago?) and I am mostly self (and CC!) taught! Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 18

Many people are hands-on learners. A few can be self-taught from books.
Wilton level 1 is **very!** basic. they should teach you how to make b'cream (practice icing); how to ice a cake; how to make a parchment cone and how to h old & use a decorating bag.
If you go with the idea you don't know anything and are there to learn you can pick up a tip or twoicon_smile.gif
If you go w/the attitude you already know that it probably will be a waste of time.
Level 2 you earn borders and flowers. The classes have changed since I last taught some 5-10 yrs ago so I don't know exactly what/how things go now. I have heard of several people who were self-taught making their roses w/the tip upside down - and thought "so that's why they never looked right!".
Level 3 highlights simple tiered cakes.
Some instructors will let you start at level 2 others won't because each level builds on what was taught in the preceeding level. HTH

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 18

I haven't been decorating cakes as long as you so I'm probably not qualified to answer, but here goes anyway...
I have taken all 4 of the Wilton classes (which I enjoyed) and I find that I learn better by seeing the technique performed infront of me as opposed to a book (plus some of the really good instructors give you all sorts of other tips too)

I looked at the photos that you have posted and I don't see a lot of flower or fondant work. I found both to be pretty easy with practice and a good demo. For as nice and clean as your cakes are, you will probably pick stuff up really quick to. So, you might find yourself ahead of the class right away, but that doesn't mean you won't get a lot out of it...

ok, so I'm sort of rambling...
I think that you should decide what skills you'd like to improve and what your learning style is. if you pick stuff up well out of books, I'd say keep practicing at home, if you learn more by watching a live person and getting feedback as you are doing the technique, then classes are definatly the way to go, and are well worth the investment.

study the course decriptions...
talk to the instructor about maybe skipping the first course and start with the second (mostly flowers), then you might want to take either the C3 or C4 for fondant work depending on if you want to learn more RI flowers or gumpaste roses....
HTH! keep making those beautiful cakes!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 18

I would sugget that you don't need to take the classes, especially as you seem to be such a go getter in finding references books and things like that. I was asked to teach in 1990 and you had to take the classes to teach back then so I took the classes. The first night it was all talk talk talk by the instructor as she decorated a simple round cake. The next week we were to bring in a cake iced and ready to be decorated. Up until this point only the instructor knew I was a seasoned decorator. Well, out came the cakes and lots of laughs about how they were not smooth, then I brought mine out, I had been doing the paper towel method for years, that ended me being able to "take" the class. I had to help the instructor!
If I wasn't taking the class just so I could teach it would have been a total waste of my time.
By the way I have all the yearbooks from 1970 on also!

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 18

I've said it before and i'll say it again, if you can overlook that
buy wilton, buy wilton, buy wilton this that and the other then the classes are o.k. -- but in the end you'll need both the classes and practice as i am learning

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks for all the input so far!

I feel as though I really have the basics down...leveling, icing a smooth cake, star fill-in, basic borders, etc. Right now I'm practicing my flower work (which is why my cakes in the gallery don't have much flower work yet!)

I'm also playing around with fondant...I used it on my brother's graduation cake and had a lot of fun with it. But in my opinion the Wilton fondant tastes weird(it probably doesn't benefit from sitting on a shelf for months), so I will probably buy the ingredients to make my own and see how that goes.

I think I will at least ask about skipping Course 1...from the sounds of it I would be bored out of my skull!

Jibbies I adore the yearbooks...they give me ton of ideas when I am suffering from decorator's block icon_rolleyes.gif .

kristincu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristincu Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 18

I just finished my 2nd time around in Wilton I. I took it a few years ago and signed up for II right after, but business travel kept me from 3 of the 4 classes so I never finished it. Fast forward to a month or so ago and a friend asked if I'd be interested in taking classes with her, so of course I said yes and decided to just start in I with her. In the in-between I haven't been decorating too much, but what I have done was from books etc. (I had tried self-teaching from books prior to my first Wilton I class as well). I learned some new tips and tricks this time around, since every instructor is different. I also really like the structure of having homework each week - it gave me a great reason to bake! Plus at Michael's the classes are almost always on some sort of special. I think course I wa about $15 or $18 this time around. Worth it for 4 "girls nights out" at the very least...but also worth it for practice and help with techniques.

Cheers!
Kristin

dbdg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbdg Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 18

we also took the classes as a "girls night out" thing -actually spend time with your mother but u get the idea!- i am looking forward to class II but am waiting till my "real" class schedule isnt as heavy- dont need more homework! three papers w/ presentations due this week is enough.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 18

I think it all depends on how you learn. I learn by doing it myself. I don't do everything the way that wilton would teach ~ but, the result is something that I am proud of. So, I guess it doesn't matter on how you get there...
Good luck!

ps. I take pride in being completely "self taught". Certainly not that I'm better then anyone (I have a LONG way to go myself!) But, I'm proud of what I've accomplished all by myself ~ makes me feel like I might actually have a "talent" for cake decorating. I know, silly.....

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 18

I skipped Course 1, I signed up for Course 2 and Fondant and Gumpaste in the same month. I had Course 2 on Tuesday and Fondant and Gumpaste on Thursday. I told the instructor on the 1st night of class that I knew the basics and she was fine with it. I had to take the classes back to back as my daughter's wedding was the following month and I made her cake. I was going to use the carnations taught in Fondant and Gumpaste but decided on fondant/gumpast roses instead. I bought the little Wilton kit for making the roses and taught myself to make them.

Now I am taking Course 3 and will learn the Wilton way of making the roses. It will be like making the wedding cake all over again! (have to make 40 roses) My husband thinks I am nuts! icon_lol.gif

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:18am
post #16 of 18

When we moved over to Canada, I considered taking the Wilton cake decorating courses. Like you, I'm self taught and wondered if I would learn something new.

To help me decide, I visited Michael's, and 'just happened to be walking by the classes' and popped in! The instructor was really nice, and let me look at what they were doing, and what they did in the different courses.

I'm glad that I did look in on the class, as it made me decide not to do the course! Don't get me wrong, the courses look good - and people were enjoying them, but I did not feel that it would benefit me. Also, I would have had to start with Course 1 - they would not let me jump straight to one of the other courses.

Is it possible that you could 'pop' into one of the classes so that you can get a better idea of what they do?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #17 of 18

I've been doing cakes for 25 years, completely self-taught. However, add'l education, training, classroom time is never a waste of time. You will learn some things in a class room that you probably wouldn't take the time to learn on your own, unless you got really motivated.

I can whip out 100 roses in about an hour, but can't make an apple blossom to save my butt!

I'm not endorsing or discrediting Wilton classes ..... but it's one of many steps I wish I had under my belt.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #18 of 18

I agree with indydebi. I had been decorating for several years before I took a Wilton course. The courses are not as expensive as some of the cake shop ones can be. That's a plus and I think anyone, even a seasoned decorator, can learn something new even from a beginner class.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%