Can Anyone Help Me Save My Lumpy Buttercream???

Decorating By schatzie Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 12:03am by kakeladi

schatzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schatzie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 3

I own a small shop - and just experienced my first big disaster. I was making a double batch of butter cream (using 50 lbs. of powdered sugar) and started scooping in the powdered sugar not realizing until it was too late that my new supplier brought me 6x pwd. sugar! I used about 20 lbs in 12 lbs of butter and 12lbs of sweetex before I realized the lumpiness of the sugar. I have whipped and beat that stuff to no avail. So I've scooped it into a bucket and started over.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any way to save it? My good powedered sugar won't be here until tomorrow. I"m ok using it for cupcakes...but that's A LOT of cupcakes. I may just have to chalk this one up to "PAY ATTENTION" but that's so much butter and powdered sugar to throw away.

Any great ideas???

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 3

You could push it through a sieve-lots of work but the buttercream would be lump-less.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #3 of 3

Oooooohhhh I once worked at a grocery store bakery that made me push lumpy powdered sugar thru a strainer.....made my fingertips bleed!!! icon_sad.gif

As for your lumpy b'cream try putting it in a different mixer and let it run for 20-30 minutes on low. I had a couple of small KA mixers and one did a great job on getting the icing smooth, but the other was totally useless for that. Maybe a smaller mixer will do the trick for you. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%